DIY Cooking

Hi

A wallpaper seam roller makes a decent pastry roller for situations where the usual big roller wont do. Now I've got a lot of lemons to zest, and it strikes me that a manual wood rasp would probably do a much faster job of this than the traditional lemon zester.

Any other examples of DIY tools being good for cookery? I guess some kind of saw would be good for boned meat, there's the blowtorch for browning and caramelising, hammer and screwdriver for cutting up frozen foods... any others?

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

Drills for coconuts (to get the milk out)

Reply to
Seri

I use my plaster mixer and cordless drill to stirr the porridge in the mornings. What I hate though are all the crunchy bits I keep finding in it. My wife thinks that it's posh porridge with added crunchy bits.

David Hearn

I sometimes could do with an SDS drill with attatched chisel bit to get through my wifes steak.

Reply to
-= debully =-

;-)

Luckily my Wife think's dinner is something that's delivered on a moped so I'm safe there!

Talking of SDS again (I darent start another thread ..).

Whilst In B&Q earlier I noticed their SDS drills are now 23.99 or summat. They were very much different (lighter, smaller) than the Challenge one I got from Argos some weeks before this 'other' (cheapo) model came out.

I did notice on the box it mentioned a 'clutch' but no mention of a rotary stop?

Anyone got one (I think it was one of the 'Proline' models (or whatever their cheapo line's called))?

All the best ..

T i m

Reply to
T i m

A Mole Wrench is wonderful for cracking nuts and for getting the meat out of crab claws. You can apply a very large force over a controlled distance without going on and smashing the whole thing to pulp.

It works the other way round to - I use my wife's self-lighting caramelising blowtorch to light my large plumbing model.

P.S. I hope you wash the fungicidal gunge off your wallpaper roller before using it on food!

Reply to
Set Square

I use my Electric Power Planer on the pig to make pork scratchings.

Reply to
Dave Gibson

Presumably you have to tie the pig down first?

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

Nah. Clamp it in the workmate.

Darren

Reply to
dmc

Needle-nosed pliers for pulling bones out of fish. A hatchet/small ax for chopping up bones for stock. Spackle blades for icing, fine paint brushes for pastry.

Of course, it works the other way, too - muffin tins for sorting small parts, roasting tins for catching oily drips, old liquidisers/blenders for mixing garden stuff......

Sheila

Reply to
S Viemeister

We couldn't have done that with our 4cwt pig ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And bandsaw to cut it up !!.. Only joking folks.

Dave

Dave Stanton

Hot-air paintstripper set on hot I find more convenient than the blowtorch. Ideal for melting cheese on toast, ...

For cutting up food, I find that 30s-1m in the microwave to warm it up from -20C to around -1C or so, and maybe start melting bits helps. This changes the food from totally solid, to slightly flexible, and makes getting a cutting tool into it possible.

I find my favourite knife in this circumstance is a 1mm thick stainless carving knife. Tap gently on tha back with a lump of wood, and it just goes right through.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

Definitely

The Rothenburger blowtorch for caramelising Cremes Brulee.

Microplane makes some nice tools that equally at home for woodworking and the kitchen.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Oh its never seen wallpaper, I got it for cooking. Just seems to be one more DIY item I use for cookery. Looks like some people thought I was kidding - funny maybe, but I've used quite a few diy tools on food :)

I dont know if the roller is dishwasher proof yet, but its cheap enough that I'm going to try some time. Gad ya compare kitchen implement prices with DIY, if I get poorer the kitchen will become the workshop too.

Regards, NT

Reply to
N. Thornton

"Dave Gibson" wrote in news:5Sddc.31037$Y%6.3835277 @wards.force9.net:

You are what you eat.....

mike r

Reply to
mike ring

It always was here, until I screamed and raged and sulked and ... well I'm sure you know what I mean.

So was the sitting room (for dismantling the motor bike) and the dining room (for welding) ... there was nowhere left for me to extract my honey except the bathroom and to make my candles except the back bedroom ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

When you need to take the head off a frozen fish you need a 5lb hammer on the back of an axe ...

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

snipped-for-privacy@meeow.co.uk (N. Thornton) wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@posting.google.com:

The microplanes ...

"It started out in 1990, merely as a new type of woodworking tool with hundreds of tiny stainless steel razors designed to shape or to file wood."

And yes, they do zest lemons extremely speedily.

Reply to
Rod Hewitt

Used to be a comedy series on ch4 called "home improvement" in it Tim Allen presented a spoof show called tool time and they had an episode about construction site cooking where a plumber made a grilled cheese sandwich using his blowtorch. Think its rerun on the Disney channel all the time.

Jon.

Reply to
John Southern