Roof trusses

I'm get a shed built at the back of the garden and I'm thinking about the type of roof I want. I could simply have a flat roof but a pitched tiled roof appeals to me more. What is envolved making your own roof trusses ? how many will I need ? I understand the basic types but what more info do you need ? the shed will be 7m x 4m and about 3m high.

Any info is greatly appericated.

Reply to
Mayur

You should find tables in the building regulations on how big the rafters have to be for a traditional constructed roof. If it is good enough for a house, its good enough for a shed.

Don't bother doing modern house style trusses. They're a PITA, reduce headroom and need to be calculated by computer anyway, although you may just be able to pick some up from a BM.

Christian.

Reply to
Christian McArdle

How far from the house? At that size you may well need planning and or building control approval.

Reply to
Peter Crosland

No idea if there is anything relevant here, but when I was planning my loft conversion a few years ago I stumbled across

seemed to be a lot of background info there.

Regards, Simon.

Reply to
Simon Stroud

You are going to run into trouble! Check the Planning regs of your local council. My council's regs say no higher than 3m with a flat roof, or 4m with a pitched roof. If you intend to build the walls 3m high and then add a pitched roof ontop, the pitch won't be at the recommended angle for the usual (Redland style) roof tiles which should be at approx 22 deg. If, on the other hand, you intend the whole building to be no higher than 3m, then with a 22 deg pitch your walls will only be about 1.5m high!

In my case (12'x12' workshop), I built mine 7' wall height (old school - I know) and added a pitched roof ontop to meet the 4m regulation and achieved nigh on 22 deg pitch.

I used 4"x2" (100mm x 50mm) for each side of the "A" frame, and 6"x2" (150mm x 50mm) for the crossbeam or rafter. The tops of each "A" were nailed with galvanised pre-punched plates made for the job, available from Wickes. I used 9 "A" frames, spaced at 18" (450mm) centres. I also used 4"x2" (100mm x

50mm) wall plates, Rawlbolted (well - Heavyduty Framefixers) onto the brickwork at 1m centres, to nail the "A" frames and crossbeams onto.

Here's a link to the regs I had to abide by :-

Paul King

Sorry, it is a bit late at night! I needed to maximise the available storage space in the roof so needed to achieve a 40deg pitch! You'll be fine with 3m high walls and 22 deg pitch, which will add approx 750mm to the height.The rest of the info is still correct for timber sizes (assuming you are spanning the shorter width!).

Reply to
Paul King

This is a useful link as well

Peter Crosland