First tool gloat? (compressor)

I just picked up a used Crapsman 15 gallon, "3.5hp", belt-drive, oil-lubed compressor for $60. It's around 10 years old, but it filled the tank in short order and quietly.

It's old, and it's Craftsman, and it's not really 3.5 HP, but still, $60? Do I qualify with this gloat?

This purchase was a target of opportunity for me. Now for some air tools :)

-Mike

Reply to
Mike Reed

Mike, go to a Sam"s store and look in the tool dept. They have a nice case full of all the air tools you will ever need except for a nail gun. Cost $54.00 if I remember right. I got one for Xmas and love it.

Congratulations on getting that AC for only 60 bucks you done well. Muff

Reply to
Muff

You should look VERY closely at the air flow requirements of the "tools" in that $54 play set from Sam's Club!!

Find your receipt and return those *toys* before it's too late!

BTW, I learned that the "hard way" about a year and a half ago. I bought a Coleman compressor and that "bargain" tool set at Sam's, got it home and immediately discovered that I should have left the whole kit and caboodle in the truck.

The compressor could only produce 5.4 CFM at 90PSI -- the impact wrench in that toy set required 11.5 CFM at 90PSI to produce a measly 200 ft lbs of reverse torque!

Well, DuH! Small wonder it wouldn't turn a loose nut! The other tools in that set were just as worthless!! Really crappy work ratings at enormous CFM requirements!!!

I ended up with a PC oiler compressor that delivers 6.8 CFM at 90PSI and a Ingersol Rand impact wrench that only needs 4.8CFM to produce 600 ft lbs of reverse torque. (The IR wrench cost darn near as much as the original Coleman compressor I returned.) Yes, I spent a lot more than I originally planned, but I "got it back" by avoiding repair shop labor by the time I finished the brake jobs on cars #1 and #2.

My other air tools now are almost all (carefully selected) from Harbor Freight's "professional" line. They work.

Reply to
Steve

I picked up an 8 gal. oil-less compressor made by Campbell Hausefield (sp?) at Lowes about 8 months ago. They had about 10 of them on clearance for $97. I think the regular price was around $200. Went back the next week and they were back up to regular price. Figure that one out......

Reply to
Mapdude

Harbor freight is a great place to get fittings and hoses etc. However for nailers, I just browsed ebay for about a month and found a PC 16 guage and a PC 18 guage nailers, and paid $60 for one and $75 for the other. Not as cheap as a $20 chinese made Harbor Freight item, but then again, it's not as cheaply made as a HF item either. You get what you pay for, just try to pay less than all the other suckers.

Mike Reed wrote:

Reply to
Mapdude