finishing query with paint

Folks -

I've just finished painting (gasp) an adirondack chair and will be delivering it on Friday. I used green latex exterior, as requested, but had a question. Can wax be put over paint? The chair's owner wanted to know if she could wax it to provide extra protection from the foul weather - I don't know. Would wax harm the paint? What about lemon or citrus oil/beeswax combos? Paste waxes? Remarks?

TIA,

John

Reply to
John Moorhead

wax won't harm the paint, but it also will do nothing to protect the chair in addition to what the outdoor paint you used already will do. there really isn't any need for it.

Reply to
Mike in Mystic

You might see if there is a Thompsons Water Sealer for application over paint. Other than that, I'd say charge her for a repaint every year.

BTW what plans did you use? I'm just finalizing a set derived from various versions I've seen out there. I have the "look" I want but I'm worried about stability. I'm hoping to make the whole thing out of Home Depot type 3/4" #2 Pine and paint it.

Reply to
SonomaProducts.com

Quality exterior primer and paint should do the job. And it will keep the cherry from darkening. No matter what you put on, it will need sanding and repainting after a few years. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

Buy quality exterior paint. Good paint on the outside of houses last a very long time.

Wax, no reason as it will not stop water from coming through.

Reply to
Leon

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 16:58:51 GMT, "John Moorhead" calmly ranted:

You want to put wax over plastic?

The answer is "No." _Paint_ is the protective finish. When the finish deteriorates, sand and repaint it.

-- "Menja bé, caga fort!"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

ROFLMAO!!! Thanks for quality amusement to revitalize me after work!

PK

Reply to
Paul Kierstead

I think cedar would be better for exterior furniture than pine would be.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf