finishing pine

I just made a computer table out of some pine 1X that I salvaged from an old shoe store. It had been used as shelving in the back room and was never painted or varnished, so it has a nice patina. Isn't there some kind of wax finish that's specially designed for this type of wood? I remember seeing it in someone's home, where the person was actually taking some kind of course in refinishing. If any grain depth is revealed by varnishing, it looks like crap of course. But I can't imagine a wax finish being able to hold up to coffee spills, and it's got to be high maintenence, whatever else it is.

Reply to
bub209

You are absolutely correct in that a wax finish provides minimal protection to a piece of wood. You are also correct in that it would be high maintenance. I am unaware of any wax finish specifically made for pine but that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist.

I suggest you try a water based finish. This would not pop the grain and almost all are completely colorless. A water based finish would provide the level of protection required.

Good Luck.

Reply to
Baron