Bare pine

Been making some shelves out of 'whitewood' pine. I originally intended to whitewash them (so the grain still shows), but the whitish-yellow of the pine is growing on me.

Since these are shelves - not tabletops or window frames or anything that'll see any weathering bar a bit of dust and the odd spider - what am I letting myself in for if I leave it untreated? I expect it'll go slightly yellower with age, which is OK, but I'm not keen on the 'swiss chalet' effect of varnished orange pine. I thought whitewashing (dilute emulsion) would be a lot of effort to keep them roughly the same colour.

Any other pitfalls? Will the knots weep significantly? (if they do it's not an absolute tragedy - they won't exactly be holding first editions)

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

A thin coat of pale shellac (not the orange stuff) works pretty well. We did that on the shelves in our daughter's room 10/15 years ago, and they still look good. The shellac stops any weeping, and makes the wood easier to keep clean.

Reply to
S Viemeister

It will just get muckier over the years. Best to varnish them. A none shiny varnish if you don't want it to be apparent.

Reply to
harry

Thought you'd sorted your malware?

Reply to
polygonum

The dust and grime will work into the wood, so it may look dirty grey in time.

Reply to
djc

On Monday 20 May 2013 00:18 Theo Markettos wrote in uk.d-i-y:

Not sure about "Whitewood" but Yellow Pine does colour significantly with age (1-2 years).

There might be a better paint - google for "distressed" and "paint".

Not IME with Yellow Pine.

Reply to
Tim Watts

If they're "whitewood" (spruce) they shouldn't go orange with age, nor should the knots weep (both issues are more associated with redwood). It'll be softer than redwood, and more porous, but fine for books I would have thought.

Reply to
stuart noble

Whitewood = spruce generally redwood = pine, its not red though

Dirt, varnish it.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Briwax is the answer. A gentle rub over with a cloth laden with Briwax will keep them clean. This is how we've done out larder upper shelves and it's worked very well. In our 'snug' I have some shelves, again pine, that we've stained dark oak and again Briwaxed them - works very well. AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Water based lacquer, satin or gloss, is very clear and non yellowing. Easy worked with as well.

Reply to
fred

A water based varnish won't give that orange effect which is mainly oil based varnish changing colour.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

worked with as well.

I have been very pleased with the tough water based acryclic we used in various places - intended for floors. Tough and easy to use.

The wood underneath still changes colour very considerably. But at least does not have yellowed varnish as well.

Reply to
polygonum

Does that keep the colour? I did some other shelves in 'Finishing Oil' (which I think is tung oil diluted with other stuff) and it's still gone quite yellow. At the moment the bare pine is roughly 'magnolia' coloured and the oiled stuff is 'corrugated cardboard' coloured. Is that sort of colour change likely to happen whatever I do to it?

Theo

Reply to
Theo Markettos

+1

Don't recognise that brand, but used one of the products using paraffin wax, a bit of bees wax, and a volatile solvent to soften it very successfully on victorian stripped pine dresser

Reply to
newshound

Think it will since the surface of the wood changes colour. Most oil based varnishes go darker with age too adding to the whole colour change.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Briwax has been the antique trade's favourite for at least half a century. The clear version doesn't affect the colour but shows up white in the nooks and crannies

Reply to
stuart noble

Even unfinished redwood changes colour, but whitewood doesn't

Reply to
stuart noble

Well I needed shelves in a hurry 5 years ago, and lobbed up some made from pine window boards (i.e. fairly thick bullnosed planks), with the intention of varnishing them when time permitted. As you can probably predict, they are still untreated and look fine.

With hindsight, I should have just given them a wipeover with a blond shellac...

Reply to
John Rumm

Yes, shellac works well. It's quick to do and quick to dry.

Reply to
S Viemeister

I ran the program someone recommended. I found eight dodgy "objects" which I deleted. It hasn't solved the problem but the computer seems to run a bit faster so there was some benefit.

Reply to
harry