Making pine look old.

I need to construct a couple of step ladders for a stage play and when I am finished they need to look 50 - 100 years old. Without working very, very slowly - how can I get that grey aged look on pine?

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

Cabot's Bleaching Oil leaves a sort of driftwood effect.

Reply to
ATP*

| I need to construct a couple of step ladders for a stage play and | when I am finished they need to look 50 - 100 years old. Without | working very, very slowly - how can I get that grey aged look on | pine?

I've got some old (75-100 yo) barn siding in my shop that I've been thinking of making into picture frames. The problem with using it is that cut edges don't look so old and I've been thinking about how I might age them.

The best idea I've come up with so far has been to hit the wood with low-grit number sandpaper for a bit of surface napping - then follow with some gray paint thinned to color - but not hide - the pine's grain pattern.

I haven't tried the method yet, but a test should be quick and easy. If you give it a try, please let me know how well it works for you.

Morris Dovey

Never yet saw an old ladder that wasn't splattered with paint of many colors.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

A wire brush chucked in your drill would work better than sandpaper. Alternatively charring the wood slightly with a torch and then using a hand held wire brush would achieve the same effect albeit with some added color.

Art

Reply to
WoodButcher

Considering the fact that no one will be closer than say 30 to 40 feet and most will be 100' away, I don't think you have to go overboard with the aging. I little gray stain and/or black streaks should work fine.

As with stage makeup, you may have to exaggerate the decoration if you have to make sure the wood looks old. Like if the ladders being old is part of the story.

Reply to
Cliff Hartle

Thanks all, I'll post pics when it is at that stage.

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

You could get some old fence pickets.

Reply to
Leon

Reply to
Arvid Sorsdahl

The suggestion of using old fence pickets is kinda misplaced, as fresh cuts will really stand out.

I don't know of many tricks... probably going to have to use paint. do your dents and dings first:

throw down some concrete steps a few times.

cover hands/shoes with chalk, and move/climb the ladder a bit. "wear" these areas with some sandpaper.

Perhaps a light sandblast or high pressure water can get the worn wood look where the growth rings pop.

once that's done... perhaps paint/tint with dilute grey paint, enough to fill pores but not enough to totally obscure grain.

Have you tried alt.stagecraft?

Reply to
flip+

Not yet, but will do. :) Thanks

Mekon

Reply to
Mekon

If I remember diluted black, water based gives a nice gray wood appearance to pine when lighted. That would be about as thick as tea.

Mark (sixoneeight) = 618

Reply to
Markem