OT windas 7 OEM discs...

So new m/c coming soon, new os time too.

Not sure I'm brave enuf to in linux etc, so windas it will probly be.

EBay has many win 7 OEM discs with codes etc at abt 50% of price of "usual" OEM pc vendor supplied.

So any gotchas?

E.g. Some ebayers say "disc contains no drivers" get your own etc- in practice is that a major omission that will cause agro?

Tia Cheers Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

What is the price? It's pretty cheap from CPC.

Reply to
Bob Eager
£40 odd for win 7 pro

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

OEM pc vendor supplied.

is that a major omission that will cause agro?

Drivers are usually no problem as long as you have a way to log on to the website of the part(s) maker(s).

Downsides of OEM install media? They are only licenced to the motherboard they're first installed on, so they can't legally be moved later. Some OEM media are locked to one maker's BIOS and won't install on the "wrong" make. There's no support from Microsoft, if it goes wrong, it's *your* problem, and M$ care even less about it than they normally do.

Check your hardware for compatibility, and try a Linux Live CD first, but ignore the slowness, it will run a lot faster from HD. If you want it to sort of feel like Windows XP or 7, try Mint Linux.

Reply to
John Williamson

Support from Microsoft? Are you having a laugh?

Reply to
Gib Bogle

So how's it work then?

It will install & run but you can't ring ms for "help" when it fecks up?

Something I've never done ever btw..,.,.

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

I see CPC only seem to have Windows 8 Pro. £53.49 plus VATV but at least you know it's kosher. Needs a previous version as it's an upgrade.

Reply to
Bob Eager

Win 8 ? Nooo

Universally derided, why would the latest version be less than 1/2 price of the "old"?

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

pc vendor supplied.

is that a major omission that will cause agro?

Linux is OK

I use PC linux and used to use Ubuntu until it went too commercial.

I think that in my dim & distant I bought a cut price Win 3.1 at a computer fair. This was the only purchase of Windows I made.

I saw Office 365 in Staples yesterday. Buy now and open your wallet to Microsoft for evermore! No doubt this philosophy will carry through to their "operating" systems where all people can do is rent the crud!

Not familiar with Win 7.0, but if it's like XP, ensure you have the drivers for your Motherbard at least, otherwise your ethernet port will not work.

ATB

Reply to
Archibald

Kosher? More like horse meat.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

OEM pc vendor supplied.

Reply to
Java Jive

Yes. Support for OEM Windows is from the equipment maker, and as you're the maker, it's your problem. That's one reason the licence is cheaper than the full retail version.

Reply to
John Williamson

In article , Archibald scribeth thus

We've been using this version of "Office" now for a while and can't fault it, very compatible apart from the price:)...

tony sayer

Mmm I'm told office is obtainable from Eire legally for 80 odd....

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

When you say would not validate, what do you mean? The code you entered was refused or something else?

The eBay OEMs appear to be a new install disc sold with a salvaged code fro m a broken pc/laptop, a piece of which is sent with the disc to satisfy eBa y's legal system aiui. Knowing how tetchy eBay are I would not expect them to allow illegal sales of a ms product so if lacking support is the only is sue it looks tempting

Jim K

Reply to
Jim K

This software "subscription" business model seems to afflicting Photoshop as well. At least according to No.1 Daughter(*), except that is $50/month.

(*) Who is extremely good at latching onto the bad news and ignoring everything else.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

In article , Jim K scribeth thus

What the full version..

Reply to
tony sayer

You mean you haven't had them phone you up to sort out your PC?

Reply to
dennis

Its just win7 with a few extras and a need to install a free add on to get a start button and menu back. If you got it early it was cheap and had all the windows 7 professional

  • media centre. Well worth the few quid it cost to replace XP.
Reply to
dennis

There are OEM disks as used by the likes of HP,dell which are BIOS locked to their machines and don't usually need activation

and there are OEM disk from M$ for smaller systems manufacturers that work on (almost) anything but need activation, they are like retail but different license conditions.

You need to know which is being sold to you.

Reply to
dennis