4" pine tongue and groove paneling - how to finish??

Finishing up a cabin that will be close up in the winters with no heat. We installed 4" pine tongue and groove paneling in the living room. Wondering what would be the best way to finish it. Considering just clear or touch of honey color. But what kind of paint, stain, varnish, polyurethane, polyacrylic, etc?

Thank you for the help.

Autumn

Reply to
Autumn

One thought is how light do you want the color to stay, pine will darken a few shades in a few years, any oil product will darken and yellow more than water base acrylic products. I used a water base poly to keep the pine as light as possibe over the years. As to holding up with freese thaw cycles contact manufacturers or log cabin businesses. But being an interior and knowing floor finishes dont just pop off if a house freeses I think you have alot of options on finishes and sheen level. Whatever you do it will darken on its own.

Reply to
ransley

"Autumn" wrote in news:1CM6k.11393$ snipped-for-privacy@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com:

I would use a very lightly-colored stain to bring out the grain, then finish it with satin polyurethane. The color you choose depends on the colors in the rest of the room, of course.

Sneaky tricks: Take a few pieces of the wood to a paint store, and get them to show you some stain and finish options. A good store will do this for free.

If you wipe the wood with mineral spirits (paint thinner) you'll get an idea what it will look like with a finish, but no stain.

Since it's a cabin, use the glossiest finish you can stand. Glossier finishes collect less dirt and clean more easily.

Reply to
Steve

@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com:

Pine doesnt stain evenly, you need to look into it and experiment on extra wood. On Pine I use a shellac pre stain like Bix, but maybe an unevenness would look good on logs highlighting knots and grains

Reply to
ransley

Autumn,

We used Minwax Satin Polyurethane on our 1x6 pine T&G walls. We put on two coats in our master bath, but only one coat in our master bedroom. The second coat makes the pine slightly darker, but it helps a bit with moisture in the bathroom.

Anthony

Reply to
HerHusband

Thank you everyone for the replies. We are going up north to work on this, this weekend. Appreciate the quick replies, they were all helpful.

Thanks

Autumn

Reply to
Autumn

I' ve been using WATCO Oil..(just wipe it on with a brush, rag or sponge-coudn't be easier to apply) for the last 30 years. It comes in various shades/colors and is 'clear'

Rudy