matching color on pine paneling.

I have some pickwick pine paneling in my house that had varnish put on it about 40 years ago. I pulled it off the outside wall and put in insulation and new windows. I have purchased new pine paneling to replace it with on that wall. Anyone done this already and have suggestions?

1st question is can I put polyurethane over the existing old paneling that had varnish on it? 2nd question is any ideas on getting the new paneling to match up with the old varnish color? should I try stain and varnish over that? or just stain? can I put poly over either if I get color to match? Hoping someone has already done this seemingly common redo and has suggestions.
Reply to
Spike

Years of UV exposure and aging always turn wood a darker shade. Either use the colored polyurethane (MinWax polyshades) or just slap on the usual finishes and wait a decade. Plant a bush to obscure the view if it is too annoying. Urethanes seem to have no problems over old varnish on my projects. The standard techniques, such as light sanding are OK. Using stain as a matching method may not work very well. The color varnish will build up more tone with successive coats.

Joe

Reply to
Joe

Yes

The only thing what will match the patina of 40 years of aging is another 40 years of aging. If you use stain, it will look like crap and never match right. It may match today and look uneven in a few months as it starts to age.

Be sure to use an oil based poly also. It will give a darker tone and closer match the old paneling. You may speed the process by getting some UV rays on it.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski