Is Paneling Dated

Is paneling for a basement really that dated? I want to redo my basement, which has old paneling on it. I prefer not to do drywall because it is is thicker, and might require re-laying the carpet and tackless.

I know some paneling can look pretty tacky, but I'd get the real wood stuff, and put a clear water poly finish on it so it doesn't yellow.

Reply to
Julia Betancóurt de Velasquez

Without seeing it it's hard *for me* to say. But after watching hours and hours of flip/sell this house and flipping 3 houses I'd say yes. If you are settling down in this house, go for it. If you're planning on selling I'd go for a more contemporary look.

Reply to
ythread

Get it, enjoy it. And reassess the situation when/if you sell.

Right now, old panelling can be dressed up for wider appeal by priming and painting. In the future, who knows, it might even be considered very in vogue and you can leave it as is. Or you can prime and paint it then.

Houses are for the living, not the leaving. Don't worry so much about it as if you're staging to sell it all the time.

Cheers,

Banty

Reply to
Banty

If houses are for living and not leaving, how come all the projects don't get completed until we're leaving? ;-)/2

Reply to
krw

I have done a lot of patching of drywall and think I know quite a bit about all of the details on how to do things right the first time. I had never done sheets before, and wasn't sure if I'd screw it right up. It was a piece of cake. Worked perfectly. I now have both panelling and drywall in my basement. The drywall rooms could be any room in the house, but he panelling is reserved for specific places. A real wood room can be awesome, but would you put paneling in your living room? Depends what its for.

Reply to
bent

Too busy living! ;-)

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Velasquez

I suppose so. Live and then pay the piper for six months, finishing every thing up to sell. :-(

(It went on the market last week.) :-)

Reply to
krw

Good luck selling your house. I'm getting ready to flip the house I'm in now. I started working on it as soon as we moved in.

I'm looking for another fixer upper now.

Jim

Reply to
ythread

Velasquez

Congrats.

Oh, well, you get your investment back quicker if you leave the projects until the end ;-)

Banty

Reply to
Banty

Thanks. It's too much work and risk, particularly now. I was sick a few months, otherwise I'd have been done in the spring as planned. Gotta move. I retired last year and the taxes here are killing me.

Good luck! I'm not fast enough to flip homes and make a profit.

Reply to
krw

Velasquez

Thanks. Things are slow though.

Don't have to repair any of the repairs either. ;-)

Reply to
krw