Can You Paint Paneling?

I have a room that was added on to the house that I bought and they used that hideous pine (?) color paneling that was usually found in the older mobile homes for the walls.

I'm on a VERY limited budget and I need to do something to this room temporarily before I use it.

Can I paint it a different color just to make it look half way decent until I can afford to drywall it?

If so, just regular interior paint?

Reply to
Ron

Yes might take several coats depending on the porousness of the product. Use a large nap roller. My exwife painted my pecan paneling white with mommies help. Notice I said ex wife. The paneling cost 70 bucks a sheet wholesale.

Reply to
SQLit

Yes, you can paint over paneling. If you have a real shiny finish on the paneling some people recommend roughing it up a little with some sandpaper. However, being averse to too much work, I've had good luck bypassing the sanding and using a quality primer (such as B-I-N) and then some latex paint. Of course, it's never going to look like freshly painted sheetrock, but I've found it to be a great improvement. What were people thinking back in the '70's when they installed this stuff?

Tom

Reply to
Montego

Yes. My parents did this with theirs with excellent results: you need to sand it thoroughly to remove the shiny finish, then prime it, then coat it with regular interior paint.

Reply to
xymergy

Yes

Yes

The paneling needs a good cleaning first. If it is several years old, it should then be ready to paint. If it is newer paneling that still has a gloss to it, it should be lightly sanded first. I did mine many years ago and the paint has held up really well.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S.

I have that type of paneling in our den and I skim coated it with sheet rock mud first, then painted it. It looks pretty good and you can't tell it's not drywall unless you look real close. Catt.

Reply to
Catt

Oil based primer is the key, unless you really enjoy sanding.

I had pretty good luck covering up the grooves with a dense spackling product, then sanding it down ever-so-carefully. It took alot of time, and it was only a ten foot long wall, but you'd never know it was ever paneled.

Mr Fixit eh

Reply to
Steve Nekias

Hi Ron!

R > I have a room that was added on to the house that I bought and they used R > that hideous pine (?) color paneling that was usually found in the older R > mobile homes for the walls. R > R > I'm on a VERY limited budget and I need to do something to this room R > temporarily before I use it. R > R > Can I paint it a different color just to make it look half way decent R > until I can afford to drywall it? R > R > If so, just regular interior paint?

Yes, though I would gently sand the surface to roughen it ever so slightly to allow the paint to adhere better. After sanding rinse with a detergent to remove the sanding dust and household greases. (TSP comes to mind but not sure if that's available still -- haven't had to buy any in years.)

Be sure to get the recesses in the panelling. If a distressed surface may be easier to apply Kilz before painting.

  • MATH TRANSFORMS: polar bear is rectangular bear after coordinate transform
Reply to
barry martin

I have successfully wallpapered paneling. I put spackling (mud) in the grooves, then papered over. I buy wallpaper on closeout; otherwise it's too expensive.

Reply to
Toyratter

We shot drywall mud on paneling with a texture gun. I really didn't think it would work. That was 11 years ago.

they used

the older

room

decent

Reply to
DanG

You can paint pretty much anything. Save some time and use a primer (like Kilz or other Zinsser product). It will give you much better coverage, you'll save enough on paint to pay for the primer.

Reply to
edfan