Fine depth adjustment (UK wreckers)

If one desires fine depth adjustment on a table-based router, is it best to have the adjustment feature integral to the table or to the router? Or is there really any choice in the matter? It seems that only the rather expensive routers have fine depth adjusting capability built in and I can't even find a table that offers that feature although I have seen a couple on TV.

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

Debatable. One is maybe better, but costs money.

Not in the UK.

We don't have fixed base routers. You can get them if you look, but they really are a rarity. So using the fine adjust on a plunge router is almost universal as a means of adjusting depth.

You can find the US-style adjustable height table inserts if you look even harder, but these are expensive. They also work poorly with a plunge router as they leave you very short of working height (fixed-base routers generally have deeper "reach" than plunge). So all around your best choice is a good plunge, with a good depth adjust. They don't all have one (amazingly), but you should choose one that does.

Usual choice is a Freud 2000. 170 quid from Screwfix was cheapest, last time I looked. Good router, especially for use in a table.

Reply to
dingbat