Finally got a Forrest...

Am currently working on an entertainment center which I am building into a corner (about 6' x 6') which is adjacent to the fireplace in our family room. I have most of the "boxes" built and installed - extends to 11.5 ft above the floor (bookshelves above the TV area).

Anyway, since I have a lot of face-framing/doors/drawers - not to mention the oak crown that I will be installing in the entire room, I thought that I would spring for the Forrest chopmaster blade.

While I was at it, I also got the WWII - and a copy of Charlie Self's pocket reference book too.

With Amazon's $25 off deal, everything came in just under $200.

Not bad (I guess). I know the book will be great, but these are my first Forrests - hope that they live up to their reputation.

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Great blades, so I'm told. But please don't use them to cut down every tree in sight...you know... after a while, you can't see the trees from Forrest..

Reply to
Robatoy

First thing I noticed was with the WWII was how quiet it was compared to all my other blades. The next thing was how smooth the cuts were....you will not be disappointed.

MikeG

Reply to
MikeG

loutent wrote: snipsnip

Not bad at all.... Tom

Reply to
tom

loutent wrote: hope that they live up to their reputation.

They will !!!!

Rich

Reply to
EvoDawg

I leave my WWII on unless I'm doing Melamine. Then out comes my Freud Double sided Melamine blade. the freud SD508 also leaves PERFECT edges when dadoing ANYTHING. When I got the WWII, I was reluctant to leave a C-note blade on for "everyday" use and then it hit me--what in the hell would I save it for, so off came the Delta blade. I keep it around incase I need to cut salvaged wood.

Dave

loutent wrote:

Reply to
David

Hi Dave,

I have the "single sided" Freud melamine/laminate and it does a pretty good job. Also sprung for the SD508 about 9 months ago which actually convinced me that spending a little more on blades is certainly worth the time (and $) saved in frustration and wasted stock.

I was doing some box joints on cherry a few months ago with the SD508. I got a little chipout on the backside. Also the "horns" gave me a little something that I did not expect either. It was about that point that I thought that the Forrest SD might have been worth the extra $. Too late now - got to get my use out of the Freud dado set.

Funny tho, I bought the Freud single sided from Amazon but I actually ordered the double sided. Didn't realize what I got until it was too late to return it.

Still a pretty good blade, but I would advise checking the details when ordering from the big "A".

Lou

Reply to
loutent

Weeell if you do not see an improvement, you probably have set up problems.

Reply to
Leon

Lou, on the 508, there is an intentional .005+ deeper cut on the outside to prevent chipping. Once the glue up is done, you shouldn't see the exposed "batwings" on through dados. What blows me away is how clean the edges are. If the batwings were easily visible on the ends, I'd not be too happy; they aren't.

Chipout on the backside or bottom? The backside chipout isn't a function of the blade quality; you'd need a backer to eliminate it.

Dave

loutent wrote:

Reply to
David

========================= I honestly did not see much of an improvement...if any... when I switched from Frued to a WWII ...

BUT I can tell you that after months of use I did notice that the Forrest was holding up better then I was used to the frued doing....and now even months later I keep waiting for it to give me a hint that it is time to sharpen it...

The difference as far as I can tell is the Forrest is like the Everready battery...keeps on cut'en

Bob G.

Reply to
Bob G.

I felt the same way about the blade that came with my UniSaw a few years back ... damn good carbide blade that cuts pretty much like the Forrest, but I have basically used it only when my original Forrest went back for sharpening, or when I didn't want to chance dinging one of the bread 'n' butter Forrest blades..

Yep ... I own two WWII's, a Forrest ChopMaster, a high dollar Delta, and a Freud 'Glue Line Rip' ... all make excellent cuts, but the Forrest' seems to keep on ticking far beyond any other blade I've used. One of the WWII's has been back to Forrest twice now and has come back like new each time ... basically a new blade for 1/3 the price. That, and the consistent quality of cut, is what makes it well worth the upfront price for my use.

Reply to
Swingman

loutent wrote in news:210620051108298280% snipped-for-privacy@dot.net:

I've never been sorry that I bought my Forrest WWII early on, and I am a cheap bast ^H^H^H er, cost-conscious consumer.

Reply to
Nate Perkins

"Makes no difference how I carry on Just please don't talk about me when I'm gone"

Try a CMT when your regular squeeze is out for a tuneup.

I started with one.

Now I have five.

Tom Watson - WoodDorker tjwatson1ATcomcastDOTnet (email)

(website)

Reply to
Tom Watson

Got it yesterday.

Took off the gunk today.

Damn thing is real sharp.

Good thing - got some 8/4 oak to go thru.

Lou

Reply to
loutent