Festool power tools.

You expected a lot more here in rec.woodworking? If you wish to discuss the acoustic properties of various types of woods, I'll be interested.

Reply to
Bill

That is exactly what these guys are saying in effect.

I've got a lot of respect for this old timer, contemporary of Rupert Neve, and an excellent audio designer:

is some more food for thought in that regard:

>> Needless to say, care would have to be taken in the design of the

Actually, in quite a few studies since, headphones turned out to not be of benefit in HFC being important to perception of audio quality ... strange as that may seem. I'd have to dig up a cite, but I clearly remember reading that in an AES paper because of "who woulds of thunk it?". :)

I agree with that ... AAMOF, it was the first thing I said in the thread. I am not a proponent of Monster Cable, but I do know from practical experience that every link in the audio chain needs to be designed to work together, and extension cord as speaker cable simply does not fill that bill. Good quality speaker cable, of the proper gauge and length for the application and components, yes.

Reply to
Swingman

Psycho Acoustics? Is that must be the noise that mII or Twayne makes here once in awhile?

Reply to
Dave

I think what Rob means is that anyone who likes to delve into the principles of acoustics is a psycho! ;)

Reply to
Swingman

Let me put some perspective on it:

Spending literally thousands of hours mixing recorded content of all types, for commercial release and airplay, takes an unbelievable amount of focus and concentration on all aspects of "sound" that very few folks will ever have the opportunity to either practice or experience.

The overriding task and problem that must be solved when doing so is to do it in such a manner that the resultant audio "mix" will _transfer as accurately as possible_ AND over the greatest number of speakers and playback systems that it may be played back upon.

IOW, just because it sounds good in the control room does not mean that particular mix will _transfer_ to the outside world.

This ability to effect this _transference_ is the coin of the realm and the keys to kingdom of success in the recording industry as an engineer.

This is a daunting task that requires an unusual amount of attention to all aspects of audio and the principles of human hearing, as well as a keen ear for differences in harmonic content, both within and without the audible range of human hearing, as well as a keen sense of "timbre" of instrumental sounds.

Again, this ability is what makes or breaks a recording engineer, particularly if he also mixes what he has tracked.

Trust me ... those good enough to do this task well have the ability to use HFC to their advantage.

I would put my life on it ...that's how convinced I am and firm in my beliefs. I've lived it, and I've walked the walk, anyone who has not can only have an opinion on the matter, but that's all it is, an opinion.

Reply to
Swingman

At best, sure. ...as long as your "represent" means *perfectly* reproduce. So far, so good.

It a waveform is *perfectly* reproduced, where's the beef?

...except you haven't. You *state* the same old, tired, audiophoolery. There is *NO* science behind it; religion, at best.

Where "represent" == "perfectly reproduce"

How much better than *perfect* does a waveform need to be for an audiophool? IOW, you're arguing my point. Thanks.

Reply to
krw

This is the Usenet, not email. As to what I'm "on about", I was assuming that you were reading the thread. I suppose that was a bit much to assume.

Reply to
krw

Heterodyning requires a nonlinear system (i.e. a multiplier). Audio systems aren't nonlinear, at least by design. ;-)

If they *could* be. Indeed, if they could be, someone would have done it.

Agreed. It doesn't take tremendous effort to make it "good enough". 14GA zip cord is just right. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Reply to
Swingman

"Robatoy" wrote

Is that you Robatoy?? I haven't seen a post of yours in months!! What did you do to appease the internet gods to get this message through?

Good to hear from ya!

Reply to
Lee Michaels

I will give you a hint.

I use to run a small voice only studio. I had some very good AM radio monitors. Which is all I needed for voice recordings. These were very good speakers with NO high end. That's right. They went to about a 2/3rd through the conventional audio spectrum, then nada, nothing, zip. I often had folks over who had to wait for somebody to record. I would put on some music for them.

Without exception, they always commented on the wonderful high end that my speakers had. I would try to explain to them that there was no high end. Just great bottom and middle. But since they heard the great bottom and middle frequencies, They filled in the high end. I did not do it. The speakers did not do it. There was a filter that chopped it off. There was nothing electrical or acoustic that filled in the high end. It was all done through what is referred to as psycho acoustic effect. It was internally generated in their own brain. And when I would show them the documentation on the speakers (JBL's) they would tell me I was lying.

Electronics and acoustics be damned. The human mind is capable of all kinds of things that conventional, left brain types will not admit or believe.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Swingman" wrote

Apparently, he is an expert in this sort of thing. ;-)

Reply to
Lee Michaels

uh, no. the power produced causes the speed. The still burning and expelled gasses make the noise.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I suppose you've never heard of a muffler? You seem to equate the two.

Reply to
krw

Ditto here when I'm using powah tools in the shop. Respirator, too. And glasses, pushsticks, featherboards, and holddown guides where applicable.

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Oops, forgot to say "no pics there" the first time. I get a "browser not fully supported" for Mozilla 10, but it shows other pics, so please doublecheck your gallery.

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Yuppers. Shiny big thing, huh?

-- Energy and persistence alter all things. --Benjamin Franklin

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well, 'twas when it was gnu.

Max

Reply to
Max

I have yet to see the audio equitment either analog or digital that pefectly reproduces any recorded sounds.

Reply to
Markem

How's puppydawg? GoogleGroups basically sucks. I spend most of my social-Net time on Facebook. I tend to visit that at least a few times daily.

Reply to
Robatoy