Festool power tools.

Sure ... like a Bugatti or Saleen, there is no added value with Festool, it's all in the name, eh?

Reply to
Swingman

Not that I know of. LOL

Well here I am with a 12 volt Makita, a 12v Makita impact driver, a 18v Bosch impact driver that I apparently won but it is still a secret who the contest or drawing was with, and my new Festool. I absolutely forgot to mention the Bosch in my list, I absolutely don't often use it. The Bosch is probably 4 years old and I have not recharged the batteries more than 1 or 2 times. So I guess I would place the Bosch impact drive behind the 7 year old 12v Makita impact. Might be a feel or balance thing. I do know that Bosch has changed the design several times since I was awarded mine. The Makita seems to have remained the same basic design for the last 7 years.

Why did my wife buy me a Festool drill? She said she was going to buy me a very nice tool when I told her that I did not want any thing in particular. I wanted to be sure I was going to like/want that very nice tool that she chose so I gave her a hint and she said that I read her mind.... ;~)

I did not want her her spending $500 on something I was not going to use, after all, fifty bucks is fifty bucks! Right Swingman? LOL

Reply to
Leon

Why would one buy a DeWalt over a Kawasaki or Wagner, or Harbor Freight cordless drill to do the same job?

Reply to
Leon

Two times!

Reply to
Swingman

pretty much. like pioneer or sony can be added to the list.

Reply to
Steve Barker

I don't know about the sound levels of dust collectors. (if i had a permanent shop, the collector would be outside and noise not an issue). BUT, i can assure you that copper is copper and no amount of money spent on a name brand cable will change the sound coming out of a speaker.

Reply to
Steve Barker

any tool will do that. Electric items are not nearly as sensitive to water as people would like to think. My dewalts (and my cheap skil circ saw) have spent many a rain storm in the back of the truck.

Reply to
Steve Barker

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 09:29:19 -0600, Steve Barker

I'm not so sure about that. I think I remember reading somewhere that electrons travel on the outside surface of wire. In that case, there would be more outside surfaces on stranded wire than there would be on solid wire. More surfaces to travel means better conduction and that means better sound.

Reply to
Dave

A man who has never driven a Bugatti, or owned a Festool, is a man who unarguably has no frame of reference whatsoever to make a distinction.

... particularly obvious when he mentions Pioneer or Sony in the same breath. :)

Reply to
Swingman

Not in a human-audible region frequency region, no...

--

Reply to
dpb

what you heard about stranded wire and electrons is correct. I wasn't suggesting using romex for speakers (although i doubt a difference could be detected) but 18, 16, or 14 ga. zip cord from the hardware store is just as finely stranded as any hi dollar cable and will do just fine.

Reply to
Steve Barker

Well, that's accomodated by the number of strands and size/strand in stranded vs solid wire of same gauge...

At human-audible frequencies, there simply isn't any signal distortion of a measurable magnitude that could be discerned audibly.

Reply to
dpb

Sure it will, particularly, as with most "brand name" audio cabling, when gauge and length of run are taken into consideration and matched to the components ... something not necessarily taken into account with cheaper speaker wire.

That is an inarguable, scientific fact.

Only extreme arrogance would automatically assume that since they can't hear the difference, others can't.

Reply to
Swingman

Ahh, but "human audible" frequencies are only part of the story.

It is well known that _third order harmonics_, well above "human audible" frequencies, do color the sound within the human audible frequencies.

AAMOF, a trained listener, like a recording engineer, relies on these third order harmonics to make a distinction between good sound and excellent sound.

(It's one of the reasons why us old fart recording engineers, like Bruce Swedien who did most of Michael Jackson's and Barbara Streisand's work, among others, can still record and mix with the best at an advanced age.

... that is, we could before the Nyquist frequency limits of digital sampling rates robbed us of anything above half the sampling frequency. :(

Reply to
Swingman

12-2 NM or AWG 12 zipcord at Home Depot. Copper is pricy now, but nothing fancier is required for speakers.

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

I call bologny.

There is no measurable electrical difference (unless the cables are designed to alter the sound via added passive (RC) circuitry, in which case you're hearing sound that has been degraded by the cables which confirmation bias makes you think "sounds better").

scott

Reply to
Scott Lurndal

In order to say that you must make a distinction in cable composition, cable thickness, length of run, and possible need for shielding, otherwise you are indeed spouting "bologny" (sic).

Reply to
Swingman

Leon wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

The lights, man, the lights! One of the new DeWalt impact drives had 3, 3! LEDs. That's reason enough to buy the whole line, man!

:-)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Dave, True for frequencies much, much higher than audio. Kerry

Reply to
Kerry Montgomery

Do you regard that as a rigorous argument? Supportive data would make all the difference.

Reply to
Bill