THE SAW!

Reply to
Leon

On 02 Feb 2012 18:00:54 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@slp53.sl.home (Scott Lurndal)

Admittedly, there's varying degrees of betterness when it comes to certain Festool products. But then, I do own a DeWalt 18v drill and don't yet own any Festool drills. For all I know, Festool is markedly better, but I'll leave that to someone else to expound.

Reply to
Dave

Yabbut, he won't let me toush his new drill, man!

Reply to
Swingman

Monster cables piss me off. They have made the cables very expensive. Other manufacturers realize that Monsters are no different than theirs, but to compete they raise the price to seem like this is not a cheap POC.

So the cost goes up. I have been able to f> >>> Dave writes:

Reply to
tiredofspam

Me I buy lamp cord for speaker wire, cheaper works just as well as speaker wire unless you have some high end audio measuring equipment. Then "the superior qualities" of Monster cable show up, it is not discernable by human hearing range though despite some audiophiles beliefs.

Reply to
Markem

Did you wear one of those festering proctologist gloves?

Reply to
Doug Winterburn

You make a habit of dropping your tools in water

Reply to
Stuart

I too have seen then in my local Axminster (Nuneaton), the prices make me fall about laughing.

They're made for bankers.

Who else could possibly have the money to spend so much on a tool to do the same job I can do with my Trend and DeWalt tools

Your paying for the name.

Reply to
Stuart

Indeed

Reply to
Stuart

Don't buy cables at all for your speakers, buy 14 gauge copper lamp cord. Basically all cables sold at the typical sound store are an extremely high mark up item. I have a source for cable that needs to have ends on it that makes up cables for about 20% of what you pay at a retail store.

Reply to
Leon

Buy heavier gauge lamp cord for better equipment. I am not sure Monster cable makes cable as high of gauge as what you can buy in bulk although I have not looked at monster cable fin a very long time.

I could certainly tell the difference between regular speaker wire and

14 gauge lamp cord. IIRC the highs were more crisp.
Reply to
Leon

My original real cordless drill was a Panasonic, then a DeWalt followed by another DeWalt and than I turned to a Makita.

Of those listed the Panasonic was a hands down winner, the electronics and brake were far superior to any of others. The Panasonic would actually apply the brake to the chuck when slowing down quickly, you could here it engage just like you had let go of the trigger however it would continue to spin at the lower speed. Basically the chuck did not coast down to speed it instantly went to that speed. My batteries for the 12 volt Makita had been replaced once and it was time to get rebuild them again. It is 7 years old. Other than that I was happy with it and the same age Makita impact driver.

For Christmas my wife bought me the T15-3 Festool drill. I have been interested in that series since they had been introduced a few years ago. The T15-3 Festool by far is the best quality, strongest, and most versatile drill of all that I have owned. Its electronics and brake are similar if not better than the one on the Panasonic. The clutch is far superior with it being electronic vs. the slipping clutch. When the desired clutch settin is reached the drill stops until you release and pull the trigger again. The brushless motor design seems to perform above average as advertised. I have yet to use my impact driver since Christmas. In the past I have always drilled pocket holes with a corded drill for speed. The Festool drill does this with greater ease and with no bogging down even in oak I have used the eccentric attachment 1 time and the right angle attachment at least 4 times in the last month. The drill comes with 2,

3amp Lithium Ion batteries. They stay in a relatively warm garage so I have not had any issues with them yet. So I really really like the drill.
Reply to
Leon

Noo000000ooooooo. I did not have to insert my finger, merely stroke it. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

No, just the drill. ;~) There is a Festool video that shows it submerged in water and then run afterwards to drive screws. Youtube

Reply to
Leon

You den says you wan'ed to toush it.

Reply to
Leon

Of course Stuart, never in your life have you shown off a new tool to a friend. Besides that, most of us are using these tools alone in a workshop. There's really not much showing off.

And by saying that, you've completely missed the point of what many of us are trying to tell you. That's the fact that you can't do the same job with your Trend or DeWalt. When you add up the dust collection, the ease of use and the added capability, those other tools don't compare.

I know what you naysayers are really thinking. You're afraid that if you go to one of the free demo days that Festool dealers put on, you'll like a Festool so much you'll end up buying it. Admit it guys. You're afraid of joining the club and being razzed for spending so much.

It's either that or we current Festool owners are so embarrassed by our spending so much money that we want to draw you guys in to so we don't feel so bad. Is that it? You think we're a bunch of misery loves company tool owners? :)

Reply to
Dave

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 06:15:30 -0600, Leon

Actually, there is a measurable sound difference when you use the better cable. But, unless you're a trained sound engineer who hasn't lost any of his hearing, then cable like Monster cable is a waste of money for the rest of us.

After all, we're woodworkers who have been hammering nails all our lives and putting up with the screaming of cheap dust collectors. (until we bought our Festool dust collectors). So, most of us have lost our fine edge of hearing a long time ago.

Reply to
Dave

On Fri, 03 Feb 2012 06:52:41 -0600, Leon

Nice wife. Does she have an unmarried twin sister?

Well it's true about what I said to another person who thinks that Festool is some type of gimmick. I'm afraid I'll like a Festool drill so much that I'll be forced to buy it. That's why I haven't actually gone to look at any. If I did, my three other drills would get lonely. Right now, I refuse to diss my current trusted companion drills.

Reply to
Dave

Every thing is relative. You can not understand what you don't know.

I certainly would not buy a DeWalt if I only needed to drill ONE hole. That would be showing off. Again it is all relative. You buy the tools that suite your needs.

And Larry will never let you hear the end of it. He who rubs two sticks together to start his fires. :~)

No, it is not that, it is lonely at the top. LOL

Reply to
Leon

I bought new front speakers from an upper end dealer, one that's prices include delivery and installation and wiring. The wiring was Monster Cable. I change locations of the speakers and used 14" gauge lamp cord, actually heavier gauge wire, and noticed an improvement in sound instantly. The powered sub woofer still has the Monster cable.

Reply to
Leon