Fences...Which one? Why? How much? Etc.....

Still cannot decide on what to buy for a fence for my table saw. I really am leaning towards the Incra because about the ONLY negative thing I can find about it, is that it takes up too much room on a wide rip.

I like the fact that it can do repeatable cuts with accuracy unlike ANY other fence.

It's only about a few dollars more than most Bies clones and about the same price as a Bies.

What am I missing here?

For $350, what is the best fence to get???

Reply to
Elmar

IMHO you will quickly tire of all the fuss of having to keep up with all those scales and numbers. Its a neat gadget, that is purdy to look at but way over engineered. If you can not simply raise a lever and slide the fence to where you want and push the lever back down, it is too much trouble. If you cannot simply lift it off and store it under the table extension and put it back on in 3 or 4 seconds, it is too much trouble. I would go with the Bies or a Bies clone. If you really think the Incra is the "Cats Meow", get the Incra, apparently some one has really sold you on it. Personally I see it as a PIA to use compared to most any other fence.

Reply to
Leon

How about the Mule Accusquare for $130 less?

Kim Whitmyre
?

I run a true Biesmeyer..have for years, and I agree 100 percent with Leon on the Incra...It is too much of a hassle and I never had any problem making repeatable cuts, weeks after the original cut was make...

Incra fences on a Router table I can understand...

I understand that the Accusquare is a darn nice fence so I also agree with Kim... Check one out...

Bob

Reply to
Bob G

Might also consider the Vega Utility fence too. Wanted to replace the junky stock fence on my Delta Contractors saw, but didn't want to spend too much scratch. Took a gamble on the Vega, and have been quite happy.

In real life, I'm a research engineer, and have a fair bit of experience fabricating lab fixtures with metal working machinery. Out of the box, the Vega was underwhelming. Just some aluminum extrusions, hardware store bolts, and some flimsy looking contraptions for setting rail height before bolting the whole thing solid to the saw. But, you know what, the damn thing went on the saw exactly like they said it would, in about 15 minutes, and it works perfectly. About my only complaint is I wish it had a couple of 1/4" T-slots on each side to make mounting sacrificial faces easier. Otherwise, its rigid, maintains square, locks tight with minimal force on the lever, unlocks easily, slides smoothly, and the micro-adjust feature is handy; especially when I'm using my table saw wing as a router table.

Kudos to the Vega folks for making a perfectly functional product at that low price point (I paid $230 with free shipping through Amazon/Tool Crib).

David Glos

Reply to
DLGlos