FAQ for new list members

Now that the last of the kids has been packed off to college it is time to have some fun...

Is there an something introductory available for those of us who have a quarter of a century of near rust except for household trivia?

Immediate interest is kitchen cabinets, but real interest is in furniture perhaps moving into carving and inlay work.

George

PS. doesn't work.

Reply to
nospam_gbeshers

Hrm... FAQ? Maybe. I have no idea. There probably is, but who cares. Pull up a chair and sit a spell. You'll figure it out.

Reply to
Silvan

I'm doing an experiment this week between Christmas and New Years to see if retirement life can be fun for me. So far the early results indicate a resounding yes. Sadly it's not an experiment I can continue.

sigh...

This makes it sound like you'd like an intro to Al Gore's Wunderful Whirled Wide Web in which case yes there are sites out there as well as books. It's been nearly a decade but I found the Dummy's Guide a good intro. No really/not a put down.

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh. Now this sounds like you'd like an intro to wreck.wood in which case I'd suggest a trip to Google and specifically the newsgroup archives. Google the word FAQ and slide down to the name David Eisen.

it's just a matter of hanging out.

I can imagine.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Unisaw A100 wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

And no one can really understand this place without this link:

Patriarch

I got to do that experiment for the past 3 weeks (had some PTO I *had* to take). Yep, I could be a retired person, nope, can't afford to be a retired person. :-( I do know that, as long as sufficient funds are available to fund my habit, I would *not* be bored. I made tremendous strides on my entertainment center -- got all 12 drawers cut and assembled, as of this afternoon, 8 of them have been installed. Sidenote: the 12 drawers were an addition to the WoodSmith plan. One of those,"I can add drawers instead of shelves, it shouldn't be that much extra work" dumb ideas. Oh, "and I'll do rabbeted 1/2 blind dovetails since they'll look better" just to add another bunch of hours to the process.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Mark & Juanita wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

I've learned that, at some point, it's just 'showing off', the wife gets real impatient, and I just want the darn thing finished and off of the bench. If I'd have kept it simpler to begin with, it would likely have been better, because I would have been interested all of the way to the end.

Anybody remember "Short Attention Span Theater"?

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

So far, she's been quite patient and is happy with how things are turning out. With the exception of the rabbetted part, this was good practice for the kitchen drawers for the remodel to follow building the bunk-bed/study center for our son -- so, say 3 years down the road. ;-)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Is it Japan that designates certain people as National Treasures? These are usually artists and artisans who receive grants for just being and these grants allow them to go on about their lives doing their works without the pressures of *making a living*.

Me? I'm thinking that's one of the things wrong with this country. That and the fact that I'd never be one of the chosen few who would be paid to do the things I really like.

Hmmm and of course, sigh...

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

If you get elected President you get your salary for life plus other perks.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf

Much thanks to Patriarch for clearing up a lot of things by posting the link to the Anti-Faq.

As a newbie who finally got around to organizing his tiny workshop, and wondering if a table saw would even work in there, I was much relieved to know that there was no reason to drop thousands of dollars on so-called "quality" equipment. Maybe I'll give my Sears card a good workout.

Also, the frivolity of doing dove-tail joints finally became clear to me. So much money, so much detail. I'm working on a way to fake the look of dovetail with my dremel. Nobody will notice. And all the more time for beer drinking in front of the tube.

For those of you who are still wasting their time and money with meaningless and endless fiddling, this faq will change your life:

Tom McMahon