Evaluate this deal on Jet Cabinet Saw

Hi,

Wondering what the group thinks about this deal I saw in the paper:

Jet 3HP Cabinet saw JTAS-10, 5 years old ("light use"), Biesmeyer fence, 30" rip capacity, fold-down roller outfeed table, router insert, mobile base, miscellaneous Freud blades, zero clearance inserts.......

Asking $1000

Thanks.

Reply to
Brian

If the extras are ones that you want, it is reasonable. retail for the saw+ base+outfeed is probably about 1600. If it's all in good shape I wuld offer

750 or 800 and be prepared to settle at 900.
Reply to
Stephen M

I'd say it's in the ballpark, depending on how much "miscellaneious" you get. If there is a decent dado set in the package, that will save you some bucks. Is the outfeed table commercial or home brew? If home brew is it well done? I've never understood putting a cabinet saw on a mobile base, but if you need one, that's a few bucks also. I'm going to assume that you will offer a lower price to start discussions off. You can always come up, but not go down in the price you offer.

My rule of thumb is never pay more than 70% of new price for something used. To qualify for the 70%, an item needs to be like new. Normal used price is about 50%.

Gene

Reply to
Gene
5 years ago, that saw was probably cost about $1100-$1200 new. If it has the 15 roller outfeed table, that is about $300 new, the mobile base about $200 new. Personally I would not consider the blades, router insert, or zero clearance inserts to add to the value.

Reply to
Leon

OK, so going by the 50% rule of thumb I probably shouldn't pay any more than $800.

The outfeed table and mobile base are definitely plusses. I just don't have the space for a saw to be permanently located. About 10% of the time I have to move it to make a cut.

Thanks!

Brian.

Reply to
Brian

This saw was sold for $1299.00 with $100.00 rebate five years ago. Depends on the extras, do you need what comes with the saw? I would say offer $850.00 and take it from there.You could buy a new cabinetsaw for well under $1000.00 (Grizzly has excellent cabinet saws).

mike

Reply to
mike

Well, the decision is up to you on what you pay. I was just throwing those numbers out so that you would have an idea of that saw probably cost 5 years ago. That said, I bought that saw 3 1/2 years ago with the 15 roller out feed, mobile base, zero clearance insert, and a new WWII blade for about $2100. including tax. Given a 50% rule, $1000 would be about right if you compare to today's prices.

Reply to
Leon

I paid 800.00 for a new one without all the extras you speak of. But mine was a case of the guy really needed the money. He was asking 1,000.00. Sounds like a great deal to me. Saw is awesome!

Reply to
yobosaeyo