edge gluing 3/8 stock ?

I am making ceiling panels ( 42 1/2L x 23W ) out of 3/8 thick x 2 1/2 wide alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits about

9" apart.

My question is...if I eliminate the biscuits (time savings) and just edge glue the 3/8" stock using stabdard bar clamps...will I have any type of separation problems down the road ?

For this application..it's fine if there is a slight unevenness to the joints here and there...using knotty/rustic alder and want a kind of rustic effect in the room

Thanks, TR

Reply to
TimR

Nope. Not as a result of omitting the biscuits, anyway. As long as your stock is properly surfaced, and your gluing and clamping are done properly, you'll be fine. In edge-glued joints, biscuits aid in alignment, but don't add significantlly to the strength of the joint (which, with modern glues, is stronger than the wood to begin with).

Unevenness *will* weaken the joint -- biscuits or not.

Reply to
Doug Miller

No. You can actually use masking tape perpendicular to the joint to hold the pieces together if your edges are straight.

Reply to
Leon
1/2 wide > alder wood. My first 'test' panel worked fine and I used biscuits about > 9" apart. >

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

It is debatable whether biscuits add ant strength. I have made 18" wide panels 1/4" thick for scroll sawing and never had separation problems. If properly prepared glue joints are stronger than the wood.

Reply to
george