Poor man's dust collector improvement

I've modified my dust collector setup to improve performance and reduce dust.

I ripped the thing appart, hung the motor upside down from the ceiling joists and replaced the filter bag with a box and gas turbine filter assembly.

This was done for fairly cheap using a standard 2hp, 220 volts dust collector (King Professional).

You can have a look at it here:

Le Steak

I've modified my dust collector setup to improve performance and reduce dust.

I ripped the thing appart, hung the motor upside down from the ceiling joists and replaced the filter bag with a box and gas turbine filter assembly.

This was done for fairly cheap using a standard 2hp, 220 volts dust collector (King Professional).

You can have a look at it here:

Le Steak

Very nice set up, but one thing strikes me a odd. How come there's not a bit of dust or scraps in the corners? Who actually comes and cleans for you?

:) pete

Reply to
cselby

(snip) How come there's not a bit of dust or scraps in the corners? Who actually comes and cleans for you?

LOL!!! When folks come over and see my shop they often ask if the DC is broken or something. I have to tell them it works fine for the larger machines but hand tools, powered and non, sure can make a pile of dust in short order --dave

Reply to
Dave Jackson

Yeah! What's up with that?

Reply to
B A R R Y

How long have you been running it like that? On Bill Pentz' site he discusses the cartridge filters on single-stage collectors. The basic result was that they work for a while but then get clogged up and/or damaged by debris and end up performing worse.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

My Jet seems to do that, but the "flapper" does a noticeable job of returning things to good order. A significant amount of debris falls down into the bottom bag as I rotate the flapper handle.

My filter is ~ 15 months old, so I can't comment on how long it will last.

Reply to
B A R R Y

I've ran that setup for about 5 full bags of dust.

This setup is actually based on some of the designs proposed on Bill Pentz DC conversion page:

use the same filter as he suggests (FARR 125154-005). The key to keeping the filter clean is the piece of window screen that I've installed between the seperator and filter. This keeps everything but the fine dust out of the filter.

Fine dust does get in the filter pleats after some heavy use (especially sanding and routing). It can easily be removed however by giving the filter a few taps.

Reply to
Le Steak