Dutchmen Help

I'm making some Dutchmen(butterfly shaped) to reinforce a repaired chair seat. Also, I'm making my own patterns. I have a couple questions that some of you with experience with these critters can help me with.

  1. What is the appropriate height to width ratio?
  2. Is there a best angle to cut the sides.
  3. Does rounding the corners and waist present any structural negatives? I have a feeling that cutting the waist portion at sharp angles may present a site for failure starting.

FWIW I bought a Chinese made, Shop Fox label inlay set at the KC ww show for $20. For practice I'm using some scrap pieces of oak. I cut the hole(cavity) 1/4" deep and the Dutchman from 3/8" stock. Trimmed the Dutchman close, beveled the bottom and pounded it in. Sanded it down flush and it really looks cool...

Larry

Reply to
Lawrence L'Hote