durability of Mango dining tables?

there's a Mango dining table we would like to buy but we're worried about it splitting and cracking.

does anyone have an opinion of whether mango is a good wood for a dining room table. The table is very inexpensive which makes us nervous.

Reply to
adam

Reliability is probably more a function of how the wood was processed and how the table was built rather than the species of the wood. I've only used mango for turning but it seemed to have no major problems with drying well and remaining stable but I'm very careful about how I handle my wood. What tropical area does this table come from? Mango grows to really huge dimensions and there is not a major demand for the wood so that would make the material itself pretty cheap. If the country also has very low wages and expenses a low price for the table might be easily explained.

Reply to
John McGaw

Reply to
Gene T

John McGaw responds:

Mango is said to be verys table after drying. Some claim it is useful for gun stocks because it is more stable than black walnut. According to "Useful Woods of The World" it seldom shows up on the wood market, is mostly locally used when available.

Charlie Self

"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

Reply to
Charlie Self