Re: OT: I am sooo confident in their ability now...

>> >Games of "what if" and "stump the chump" are valuable learning tools, though >> >most of the learning is in what _not_ to do. >> >> Those are often the most valuable lessons. And the hardest. > >.... and it is much better to make those mistakes on a simulator. That >way you get to play another day, make the mistake in real life and you >may no longer have the opportunity to use any of the lessons you've >learned -- dead people don't get to play again. >

Some time in the late 80s or early 90s, Scientific American had a fascinating article about aircraft simulators, and how advancements in computer technology had already greatly improved their quality. One thing really struck me: a military flight trainer was quoted saying that pilots who survive their first five combat missions have a better than 95% probability of surviving *all* subsequent missions, regardless of the number -- and that the simulators available *then* (ten+ years ago) could give training equivalent to (IIRC) seven or eight combat missions.

Doug Miller

That is indeed quite correct. I remember that same issue. However, I fail to see how the parallel can be established with training spooks with simulators to detect terrorists. When all the relevant intelligence about those same terrorists for that simulation comes from "untrained" spooks who failed to detect them. Kinda Catch-22 if you get my meaning...

Reply to
Noons