mango from seeds ???????

Has any of you tried this? Any success ?

Reply to
Kate ......

germination is poor. Eventually I got some luck, two seeds sprouted in a warm but not hot compost pile. One had narrow leaves and one had very large leaves. They now share a pot and make a nice looking houseplant. If you try, put them in a place where they are moist, dark, and at a temperature exceeding 80F.

Reply to
simy1

Dark? Here I was ready to stick them in water and set them in a window. Thanks. Guess I'd have ruined them and never known why. I have three seeds . I love seeing things start from seeds. Though I can't be in the sun ( skin problems ) a lot anymore. Hugs , kate

Reply to
Kate ......

Thanks. Guess I'd have

start from seeds.

Hi, Not in water, use a good potting soil and lay the seed on its side and cover with soil the same thickness as the seed. Full sun works IF you don't let it dry out, semi-shade is fine. Some will be monoembryonic (only one sprout emerges) and are the result of cross pollination, no telling what it will be but may be the next great one. Others will have multiple sprouts (polyembryonic) these should be true to species, after a while keep the strongest sprout. At any rate you'll have to wait six to ten years to pass the juvenile stage to get fruit, unless you graft them. HTH -_- how no NEWS is good

Reply to
how

I'll do that. May not be around to enjoy the results. Maybe someone after me will though. I'll try putting them in a bucket of top soil on the back porch. We have very mild winters here. Thank you so much for the tips.

Reply to
Kate ......