Drill Press problems

OK, I know that what I have is entry level stuff. It's a cheap-o Clarke. With twist drill bits it isn't bad but with Forstner bits its ridiculous. I see Norm drilling 1" holes though 3" stock in 5 seconds and shavings are flying all over the place. It takes me like like 2 or

3 minutes to get through 1/2" ply and instead of shavings I get powder and smoke from the gole and if I press down too hard the whole thing stalls. The belt is ok (tight and not slipping) and the bits are new and sharp so I assume the unit has just too little power. But what's the guideline for power: top RPMs or wattage?

FoggyTown

Reply to
foggytown

First, new doesn't necessarily equal sharp.

RPM are meaningless if it doesn't have torque to accompany it (Dremels spin at 10000+ RPMS) Wattage is a better indicator, but motor construction has a lot to do with it as well.

Reply to
FriscoSoxFan

Your drill bit is worth less than what you paid for it. You absolutely should be getting shavings not dust regardless of your motors power. Dust always comes from a dull blade, bit, or knife. You want relative low rpm's,

500 to 700 range.
Reply to
Leon

Dull bits - period. Forstners bit are designed to run at slow (250-400 rpm).

Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

I've used Forstners up to 2 inches diameter on an import benchtop drill press. It takes patience, but it can be done. Powder instead of shavings makes me think your bits aren't sharp. Also, keep the spindel speed down, around 500 RPM seems right for the larger bits.

Reply to
Art Greenberg

Well everyone has told you why but not how to correct the problem.

Here's one site or just Google for "Sharpening Forstner bits"

S.

Reply to
BobS

I think your bits came from the same place as the drill press. Dull bits make powder and smoke, not low powered drill presses.

Reply to
bob