16" Grizz bandsaw on its way

Grizzly has their 16" bandsaw on sale for 500 bucks, so I figure this is a good time to retire the Craftsman bandsaw, especially in light of the fact that I gave the Craftsman a good beatdown with an oak cudgel last week. In fairness to the poor little thing, I have (ab)used the heck out of it, including a lot of resawing, for many years. Any more it goes BAPBAPBAPBAP when it runs because the motor bearings are shot, and the shiv is worn on it's arbor. I think it was less than a hundred bucks new, so I definately got my moneys worth out of it.

Anyway, the Grizzly is due for delivery tomorrow, I started up the towmotor to make sure she's ready - the bandsaw ships at almost 500 lbs.

220V 2 horse motor, 113" blades up to 1"W, should be nice. As usual with these furrin made machines, I expect it to require some tweaking. Picked up the Grizzly 1495 lathe a few months ago, and it was surprisingly fit; went together well, instructions made sense, was well balanced, 3-jaw chuck was nice, spindle steady worked good. Aside from a needle sharp piece of weld wire hidden inside the cabinet that speared my finger, the only thing wrong with it was kinda odd. Sort of a didn't know any better more than a lack of care in manufacturing problem: the two 12" and the 24" toolrests were not ground parallel to the ways/CL of the workpiece. In fact, one of the 12" rests wasn't even ground past the rough casting. We put them in a surface grinder and made them pretty and now it all works great. Then we made a nifty outboard turning tool rest stand from a material feeding stand from an old threading lathe, filled it's 4" column with sand, and a good time was had by all.

-- Timothy Juvenal

Hambone Slim

"Hambone Slim"

snip > 220V 2 horse motor, 113" blades up to 1"W, should be nice. snip snip

to make sure she's ready

What model # ? Dave

Reply to
Teamcasa

Yeah, I saw that ad and almost regretted buying my Delta 14" last month for $330. Then I thought about moving a 400 pound saw around. Good luck with it.

Reply to
Toller

1073

Timothy Juvenal

Hambone Slim

Thanks. Fortunately, I won't have to move it once I set it in place.

Heaviest machine in my shop is a big old Gorton engraver (great for doing inlays). Once we put it in place, that was it. >8^)

-- Timothy Juvenal

Hambone Slim