Re: A Bandsaw

I have the Jet 14" closed base saw with a riser block. As I recall the open base Jet has a slightly smaller HP motor. If you plan to do heavy duty resawing you may not be able to do it with the smaller motor. Mine can handle up to 12" of oak but it struggles at times. The saw has to be set up perfectly with a sharp blade to handle it. If resawing thick pieces is not a concern, the saws you are looking at will do a good job.

I'm not a real expert because the Jet is the only band saw I've ever used. I wish it had the mechanism for relieving the tension on the blade with a lever rather than the tension setting knob, but this feature (it can be added on--$150 at Woodcraft) is expensive. Look at the ease of adjusting the upper and lower guides first. I spend most of my time fiddling with those adjustments. Also look at the method for tensioning the blade. On the Jet, probably the Delta too, the knob is at the top of the saw and not terribly handy but I can live with it. The size of the table is important, the bigger the better. The fence is also important. I bought the Fasttrack and love it.

BTW, trash the guide blocks that come with the saw and get Cool Blocks or something similar. They're cheap and much better for the blades and operation of the saw. Good luck.

Reply to
Jake

Both are pretty good saws for the money. More money, better quality. For most cutting and a little re-sawing, the open base is a fine machine. If you want to add a riser block and re-saw 12" material, go with the closed base as, IIRC, it has a 1/4 HP more. If they are setup properly either one will do what you ask of it.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

===================== Sounds like both will work for you expected usage.... You may also check Grizley and look over their saws....

Avoid any bench top Bandsaws or 3 wheeled band saws ..

I also am finally in the market for another Bandsaw...my original (a Crapsman purchased in the late 60's) still is working fine but after all these years I now find myself needing to do some re-sawing that is more then my old trusty Crapsman can not handle...

Just be mindful that the blade that comes with the saw is most likely not going to be much so pick up a "good" blade asap...

Major things to look for IMHO...is the ease of adjusting the guide blocks./wheels/ etc..

I have been into serious woodworking for over 40 years and did not need a good fence nor a large re-sawing compacity for years just realize that you may need those things much sooner then I did...

I build mostly cabinets, desks and tables,...your projects may take you in different directions...

Lots of luck... Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

My dad was looking at a band saw and went to a local place here in columbus. They have a special on the Jet 18" for $899.00. It comes with a fence, bearing guides and miter guage standard. After you buy these for a 14" you will be close to the $899.00 anyway. I bought a Rigid 14" last year and hated it until I bought some decent blades now I think its decent.. I would much prefer the 18". I get to play with it tomorrow, I cant wait.

Reply to
Rick Cox

Get the Iturra bandsaw catalog. It is HUGE, valuable and free. It's filled with essays, reviews, tune-ups, etc for bandsaws... Get informed. They review the Delta vs Jet. They also review a new Delta to an old Delta.

No web site. You have to call Iturra.

There is no clear winner. Both are good. A quick release is useful to save bandsaw tension, which helps the tires and blades last longer. The Jet 14" deluxe has a imitation Carter Release. ($699). You also get a heftier motor.

For $200 more ($899) the Powermatic adds a lot more. Carter Quick Release, Rip Fence, Miter Fence, light, blower, etc. I looked at that saw with envy.

The Jet has a special deal (until April) where you can save $50 when you buy an accessory. You have to buy it from the same dealer. I got the Riser block with mine last year. Check if the open stand one qualifies for the rebate.

Reply to
Bruce Barnett

================== After you play with that 18 inch JET post a trythful reply on what you really think of it... ....PLEASE And please state if Dad still has the stock OEM Blade on it.. LOL

I am looking to replace my 30-40 year old Bandsaw and I love my 15 yo Jet Cabinet saw...so Jet has been good to me so far..it is on my list of saws to look at....

Bob Griffiths

Reply to
Bob G.

Have you checked out the Grizzly G0444 yet? I'm going to buy one in the next month or so. I'm also going to get the riser kit with it. There have been some pretty good comments on this news group about the bandsaw, and it's under 500 bucks.

Reply to
Bob

Don...

With a budget maximum of $500.00, you've got to forget some of the bigger, dressed out machines being mentioned here. If money is no object and you simply want the 14" size, sure the Powermatic could be the choice.

I'm in the same boat, but I'd be willing to spend $500 on a local machine provided it was a name brand, like Delta or Jet. At the local woodcraft store they have the 14" Rikon which is a welded steel frame as opposed to cast iron. It can't be fitted with a riser block, but if your projects don't require 12" resaw capabilities, then you might want to check it out because it's $499.00 brand-new. I has a huge table, full base cabinet, hest-sinked motor and more. Don't forget most 14" bandsaws can do a 6" resaw if you need some veneer.

Another somewhat lesser known brand is Bridgewood, and I think their

14" is $599.00 and it's a Euro-style like the Rikon and bigger Jets, Deltas, and Lagunas.

For $549.00 I think you can still get the Delta with a closed base and quick-release lever. Basically the machine all others are judged by. Lowes has a basic Delta open-stand version for $399.00.

Then there's General, and their 14" saw which is a sort of Delta clone and it sells for $499.00 also, but comes with a rip fence and miter gauge. I could be wrong but I think it also has a flex-neck blower and a tension bar. Woodcraft is just starting to get the General line in stock, so I'm waiting for them to get a 14" bandsaw so I can compare it to the Delta, Jet, Rikon and Powermatic.

Delta dealers are all over the place and you can readily get parts and tons of accessories for a 35 year-old Delta bandsaw. That's something to consider too.

MIke

Reply to
captmikey

I believe the G0444 is a table saw model #. Grizzly's 14" bandsaws under $500 are the G0580 and G0555.

Reply to
dalemartindesigns

The October 2004 and November 2004 issues of "American Woodworker" magazine have a good review of bandsaws. Lots of good info on key features, convenience of use, performance, etc. They review about 30 models and do a lot of evaluating. I got a lot from reading it. You can order reprints of the articles from their web site

Billy Smith