Planer Washboard Marks

Can anyone tell me what these washboard marks on my planed boards are a result of ? They do not appear along the entire board but rather only about

15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly the same spot on every board . I have a Delta 12" portable planer. Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Reply to
Kevin Weber

How deep and large are they? All rotary cutting tools will make these kinds of marks, but most are not very visible.

Reply to
Larry Bud

I think he's talking about snipe. Caused by the end of the board moving up and/or down during it's linear travel. An infeed or outfeed roller at exactly the right height can help. Some planers just do it.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Howdy Kevin, I have the same planer. Have you checked the alignment of your entrance and exit tables? That seems to happen for me when I'm running something thru and I don't support it correctly.

Reply to
bremen68

down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly

would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

That happened to me last tuesday in adult ed. using an oliver 12" jointer (awesome machine too) with newly sharpened blades. Nice stick of 8/4 maple. Each mark or concave is about 1/4" wide, I supposed it was the result of pushing the board too fast, which was too easy because of the new sharpening.

Reply to
AAvK

How deep a cut are you making?

Reply to
Stephen Pinn

Reply to
Kevin Weber

I hope these questions can help:

If you have long boards, are they well supported (entrance and exit)?

Are the blades well fixed ?

Are the feeding rolls clean and the belt in good shape?

Is the oder side of the boards have some default?

Are the feeding tables well adjusted and well fixed?

Do you ear a special noise when this situation append?

"Kevin Weber" a écrit dans le message de news: BQ2Wd.571047$Xk.96579@pd7tw3no...

Reply to
Marc

about 15" down the planed board. It seems to be in exactly

information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Even if you're feeding (or, with a planer feeding itself) properly, one high cutter can do that. New sharpening means new height setting, so my money goes there.

Reply to
George

Yeah that makes some sense George, the head of the shop is an 85 (or so) year old fella, coulda been that... he explaned a very strange seeing problem he has too, and he has a nerve tick that can be pretty bad, as I've seen. One cannot help but love the guy though, such a smile and positive, helpful attitude.

Reply to
AAvK