Drawer Wood Needed

I have to make a bunch of drawers. Some are 18" w x 17" d x 5" h, others are the same width and depth but only 4" h. Somewhere in my travels I have seen a white material that was 1/2" thick that was used for this purpose.

Does anyone know what I am talking about or was it a 'senior' moment I had? If you can't help me with this product what would you recommend that is

1/2" think?

Thanks for any and all help.

Reply to
mike

Are you talking about real wood, or a composite material? If the latter, there a number of products on the market with a plywood or particle board/mdf base and a white melamine veneer.

If real wood, maple makes nice drawers, and it relatively white. Butternut also makes nice drawer material and it is also more or less white.

Reply to
Swingman

How about maple fronts and poplar carcass? Poplar is a lot cheaper.

Jim

Reply to
Woodhead

Many of the Home centers carry "hobby woods" planed to 1/2" and thinnner in smallish widths. I've seen pine, oak, poplar and aspen, Aspen hobby wood is typically very white.

It is also fairly expensive when compared to the by the board foot cost for thicker stock.

Reply to
fredfighter

If you don't need solid stock you might try 1/2" apple ply. It has no voids good skin on 2 sides and comes in a 5' x 5' sheet. Should be available at your local lumber yard.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike O.

I'm not familiar with apple ply but it sounds similar to the Baltic Birch plywood I use. Baltic birch, too, comes in 5' sq. sheets, has no voids, and edges can be routed smooth. It runs about $17/sheet where I buy it. Some HD stores stock it -- runs about $23/sheet.

Reply to
Tex

Locally (SoCal), most of the lumber yards that cater to cabinet/furniture shops carry drawer sides. They are pre-finished maple and already have the bottom dado cut.

Dave

Teamcasa

Several months ago on New Yankee Workshop, Norm used a drawer ready siding product that came in varying heights. This siding also came with a pre-cut slot for a drawer bottom. It was just a matter of cutting it to length and using it. Apologies, I can remember what it was called, but you maybe follow that avenue to get the name of it.

Reply to
Upscale

in my area (minnesota) traditionaly basswood was used for drawer sides, it's white in color and very workable. i have used it for the same often. also soft maple is another option and white wood, not as hard as hard maple an less apt to split. ross

Reply to
Ross Hebeisen

Woodcraft and a host of other places sell ready made drawer sides.

I've never ordered from this place but the prices bear investigation.

RicodJour

noticed a whole array of 1/2" hardwood material right below the 3/4" stuff. In some instances, it was more expensive than the thicker stuff.

Reply to
Upscale

At $17/sht for 1/2", you have a deal.

I'm looking at $41.25 for 1 side clear.

"Appleply has smooth maple faces with 1/16" veneer plys of birch", according to vendor's price list.

It is also about 35-40% more than birch.

Can be supplied prefinished on both sides for drawer sides, per price list.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

And I'm sure if you asked the drone why it was more expensive they'd say, assuming you didn't just get a shrug before they walked off, that it costs more to mill the wood down from 3/4" stock.

RicodJour

I like butternut too...easy to work (but a bit fuzzy) but I sure wouldn't call it white, more of a medium brown. Similar in color to white oak both raw and lacquered/oiled.

Reply to
dadiOH