Domino Bathroom Drawers

Jesus H. Christ! I just saw the festerclucking price they want for it.

I guess I'll stick with my $37 HF bisquicker. Time to add that thrust washer and tighten up the height...

-- "Human nature itself is evermore an advocate for liberty. There is also in human nature a resentment of injury, and indignation against wrong. A love of truth and a veneration of virtue. These amiable passions, are the latent spark. If the people are capable of understanding, seeing and feeling the differences between true and false, right and wrong, virtue and vice, to what better principle can the friends of mankind apply than to the sense of this difference?" --John Adams

Reply to
Larry Jaques

L:Tight and handsome work.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

Same question I was going to ask and it makes sense. Cut one hole and put the tenon in. One other question in this regard. Did you Domino the holes longer than the tenon and then bang them in until they were flush, or did you put them in with the ends proud and then trim them off?

Reply to
Upscale

Except that the Domino method is much less subject to error in my opinion.

Reply to
Upscale

On the off chance you change your mind and are going to buy sooner than later, Festool is raising their prices March 1, 2011. I haven't looked specifically to see if the Domino tool itself is going to go up in price since I already own one, but I'd say it was a safe bet.

And keep one specific fact in mind should you (or when) you become a Festool owner, all of their tools are designed with superb dust collection in mind. Doesn't matter if it's a power saw, router or sander, dust collection is outstanding.

Reply to
Upscale

The Domino will only cut a 27mm deep mortise IIRC. The 6mm dominos are

40mm. When I first started doing this I painstakingly marked each domino to about 5mm longer than necessary and quickly ground it down on my disk sander.

Now I simply skip the length change step if possible and pound in the whole domino. I cut most of the excess domino off at the TS or BS. Large projects would dictate cutting with a hand saw or shorting at the sander.

I try to leave about 2 mm exposed. The Rotex in aggressive mode takes care of those nubs in a couple of seconds.

I have discovered Festool Crystal sand paper by accident. I picked some up on a clearance table, it is good for sanding painted surfaces, I thought I might need some one day. Because putting glue down both sides of a 6 mm wide hole can result with excess getting on the outer surface the dominos tend to make it hard to wipe that excess glue off. Basically I don't bother. As you probably know glue can quickly ruin a piece of sand paper. I was going through about 1 disk for each drawer on the first rough sanding. I tried the Crystal thinking that paint gums up like glue, I was able to average 7 times more with each Crystal disk when sanding simi cured glue around those dominos and rabbet joints. IIRC there is a new Festool paper, blue tinted, that is good for paint and wood, Granate I think.

Reply to
Leon

True, HOWEVER I mark the mortise locations and use the center mark on the fence to locate the Domino mortiser. I For aesthetic reasons I don't use the indexing pins on the Domino. I basically use it like a plate joiner in that regard. If the Domino slips you end up with an elongated hole. You have to be careful to hold it stationary through the whole cut.

Reply to
Leon

/#/photos/lcb11211/54...

Everything is relative, that single drawer job "much" more than paid for the Domino and CT22 vac..

Reply to
Leon

>>> L:

Thank you Ed!

Reply to
Leon

If that's this HF Plate Joiner.....

's the worst POS I've ever bought and returned to HF.

Reply to
-MIKE-

That thing even looks all wrong.

Reply to
Robatoy

"Upscale" wrote in news:2do9p.492329$ snipped-for-privacy@en-nntp-03.dc.easynews.com:

Ok, you guys convinced me. Saved about the equivalent to sales tax by buying now...

Here's the listing of price increases. Some of the tool/vacuum kits are actually going down in price.

Puckdropper

Swingman wrote in news:2d-dnZZwiYKz- _jQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

I've been admiring those drawers very much, but a question popped up. If I may, please, Karl & Leon? Where are the half-blind dovetails? I only see very nicely executed and "pinned" rabbets. And I love that bright white maple!

Reply to
Han

LOL ... I was onsite with an architect (normally not an enjoyable experience, but this one is one of the sexiest women alive) yesterday and she asked the same question.

Those damned domino pinned drawers are like rabbits with rabbets ... they were everywhere you looked!:

down to the last few photos and you'll see some of the REAL drawers in various stages of fabrication and storage. ;)

I'll get some better shots of them today as they are being sprayed with the final coat of lacquer today.

FWIW ... Their new home is almost ready ... drywall went up yesterday and floor floated, today the kitchen floor will be laid and Leon and I will level and set the bases for the base cabinets today:

Swingman

> Scroll down to the last few photos and you'll see some of the REAL drawers

Can you get some shots of the final coat lacquered UnREAL drawers too? ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Here a representative side and back of the completely finished drawers in question:

Swingman

Swingman wrote in news:VLGdnVVX4p8iYfXQnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Beautiful!!

Reply to
Han

Curious...which dovetail template/system are you using (and why the particular choice if so inclined)? Thanks...starting a kitchen rework here and it's either go w/ something new or do the old-timey way which'll be long-time consuming that would rather not take...

--

Reply to
dpb

Leigh Jig

Reply to
Leon

That was my guess, thanks...I have one of the fixed-spacing P-C types which works ok but doesn't have the flexibility to deal with arbitrary spacing.

Reply to
dpb