Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

Problem is, that's a commonly-repeated myth, but it's still a myth. That just isn't true.

Reply to
Doug Miller

I been married for 36 years....not all to the woman though...

Reply to
Robatoy

Don't you be diss'n Teddy Kennedy's good friend. They're both working hard for our government to save you from yourself.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

As happened with Dewalt/Black&Decker talk about crap!!! I recently bought a 45 YO Delta Unisaw and love it. Sold several other newer Delta products at garage sale prices and was glad I didn't have to haul them to the landfill. The sad part is if you don't want to support China what are the alternatives?? After they snubbed our navy even in "a port from storm" which has never been done in the history of sailing ships will our dipshit gov't limit imports....naw we are too STUPID to do that!!!!!!!!!! It's the dollar folks, our gov't is selling us down the tubes.

Reply to
Digger

Yes! It's good to see there are some people that have given this some thought. Most seem to be either "let them all in" or "throw them all out" Neither works. The guest worker program would be the best of both. As you say though, it would have to be implemented in the right manor otherwise, it would turn into another "big business replacing Americans with cheap labor" situation. Always a greedy basted trying to get over.

Reply to
CW

Come back when you've lived it. Then you will have something intelligent to say. Go pick some fruit for a while.

Reply to
CW

I know the feeling. Good things just get better. Have a good one.

Reply to
CW

Then change the topic Who gives a damn about Toyota!

Reply to
Digger

Horseshit.

Reply to
CW

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

The French couldn't administer a cluster f*ck, and the British let many of those folks in starting about 40 years ago out of colonial guilt, not to work.

Reply to
Swingman

Not going to disagree with either of your assessments there. However, the same problem is prevalent across Europe -- Spain, Denmark, Sweden, etc. The thing that we do have going for us is that the immigrants we have coming in at least share the same religious background, even if they don't share the same language.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

So how did the farmers get their crops in, say, 40 years ago, before there was the massive flood of illegals we have now?

Reply to
Just Wondering

>>> These guys used to be the top of the food chain, but now are

You might want to look into the reasons that Matthew Perry visited Japan.

So how is keeping the prices of tools in the US higher than for the rest of the world helping American industry to grow? If our prices are the highest in the world we aren't going to be selling much on the world market and face it, the US domestic market doesn't have a huge amount of growth potential for durable goods.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Good enough friend for the waitress sandwich...

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

ENOUGH!!!!!!!! BACK TO WOODWORKING FOR PETE'S SAKE.

Reply to
James Silcott

One could always skip this thread...

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

It's a myth only for those who are not in the position of trying to find workers...

--

Reply to
dpb

What do you think Chris and Ted were doing with the waitress?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Combination -- mostly the itinerants were still around, just there weren't the other 10-20 M of so besides in the case of the seasonal picking and so on. Earlier ('30s and so on), there were the Okies and similar of Steinbeck fame...

The difference now is the US demographics are far different and welfare programs mean the unemployed don't starve so they don't/won't work at all in large numbers...

--

Reply to
dpb