How do you organize your tools???

I have very limited space to work in. A 13' x 14' basement room shared with a washer and dryer. I recently recieved a large amount of hand tools to add to my allready unorganized pile of tools. I bought some tool boxes, a 5 draw rolling cabinet with an 8 draw cabinet on top. A 5 draw rolling cabinet with a work surface on top. also have 8-10 craftsman tool boxes of various sizes.

I'm sorting through these inherited tools now but I'm wondering how best to organize them???

Wood tools in one cabinet? automotive tools in another? Plyers in one tool box (probably 2 dozen various size and shape plyers) Another box with all the various types of screw drivers? All kinds of dividers, cutting tools, measuring tools. Lots of little things that were just piled into these old craftsmen boxes. ( probably

50 years of my step dads accumulated tools )

I have a fair number of duplicates so I could make up muliple tool boxes, each with an assortment of tools. Each box could be grabed for a project around the yard and it would have most of the common tools in it???

I have peg board and was trying to put everything on it but they dont seem to make it back to the board...

I'd like to hear hw you orginaze your tools..

TIA

STeve

Reply to
steve

First thing that comes to mind is humidity & rust. Washer / Dryer means warm moist air. Second is security. I've apparently donated a seemingly endless stream of tools to various folk who work in the house. Third, I would make up kits for various activities. TB

Reply to
tbasc

My tools are almost never used around the house as we own rental property but maybe my madness will get you thinking.. To minimize the returned trips for the forgotten tool I have them organized by projects. There are some intentional duplicates, like screwdrivers, utility knives and putty knives. Some that I bought because it was cheaper than driving home. Here is an off the cuff breakdown per toolbox or storage container:

1.drill bits, hole saws and chisels. 2.masonry tools, floats, finishing tools, steel trowels, mason's hammer, string, angle grinder, diamond blade, joint tools. Everything for concrete. 3.drywall tools, everything I need to hang and finish drywall. 4.glazing kit, everything I need to glaze a window including duplicate putty knives
  1. plumbing tools. I need to break this one down to light and heavy duty. It is too heavy
  2. siding tools, good snips, unzipper, small level, nippers, gutter stuff.
  3. Electrical, testers, wire nuts, wire stripper, romex connectors, pigtails extra covers, extra devices, screws in all sizes for electrical use.
  4. Air tools. Keep them all in one place. Keep the oil with them.
  5. Torch, everything I need for pipe repairs in copper.
  6. Extra 100' of air hose coiled in a 5 gallon drywall bucket.
  7. One toolbox divided for common nail sizes.
  8. One toolbox divided for common screw sizes.

I plan to add one more and keep all the air nailer nails in one box when I get around to it.

I'm sure I missed something but this is the basic outline.

Reply to
Colbyt