Do you lend your tools?

Hi,

I was wondering how you guys deal with "tool less" neighbors asking to borrow your powertools.

I've been asked today to lend my PC pancake compressor for a full week the time for the "neighbor" to put up a new wood floor in his house. I found him rude to even ask. I managed to get away with it by saying the compressor won't be powerful enough but I'm not sure he believed me.

I would never borrow a tool from a neigbhor, I'd rather rent one. I don't know if it's me but I believe there's so much more involved in landing a tool. Just to name a few:

  1. The tool can be abused or even damaged by careless handling or a lack of understanding on how to use it. If it does happen, comes the "fun" to ask "the neighbor" to pay for the repair or replace the tool. He may deny damaging the tool and claim he got it like that... You must have heard that one before...

  1. Liability issue. What happens, especially for you guys in the US, if "the neighbor" injures himself pretty bad with your tool. Can he sue you and invoke the fact you didn't give him enough warnings and advices on how to use the tool?

  2. Will it ever come back? When it's a big job, chances are pretty high he will use it for several days. During all that time, you don't have the tool for yourself. Not to say if you're to shy to ask, he may just keep it.

  1. And the last one, I just can't resign myself to lend any of my tools. I carefully chose and paid the high price for them (I buy only high end stuff) so let's say the "better cry once" happened several times with me and I don't why to cry twice for the same tool.

So, what do you guys do when those situations happen? Do you have any horror stories about that or overall, it always work for you?

Greg D.

Reply to
Greg D.

Greg D. wrote in news:vjg1f2pd3bvm1cpml9ti522v5kd78d36hs@

4ax.com:

"I'm sorry, but I don't lend out my tools."

Reply to
Reed

I don't have any neighbors who are tool less (or gunless), except for the recently divorced lady nest door.

My other neighbors and I freely lend tools to each other, mostly the one who lives behind me. In fact, about an hour ago I borrowed a hammer drill from him. If I wanted, I could borrow his Bobcat front loader too, but I'm not checked out in it yet. (I just need to drill a couple of holes in my new concrete/stucco patio wall, not knock it down)

When he added on to his house, he had my DeWalt 12" chop saw on indefinite loan. It came back looking better than new. He used to have me cut stuff on my Craftsman table saw for him, but when I bought my Unisaw I sold the Crapsman to him. Remarkably, we're still friends.

He's a certified welder by trade if I need that done, I'm a retired EE so I solve his electrical problems.

I'm glad I don't live in your neighborhood.

Reply to
Wes Stewart

Reply to
MGH

No way! This is a hobby for me and it is something I enjoy doing. I wouldn't want the potential headache of someone goofing up my power tools.

Try asking the big golfer in you neighborhood (every neighborhood has one) if you can borrow his expensive golf clubs for the weekend and see what he says. 9/10 attempts you will probably get the door in your face.

Reply to
Stoutman

I usually decline. Luckily, few ask.

The only tools I lend are when I really feel comfortable with the lendee, and only when I offer. If I didn't feel comfortable to offer, I feel that I won't be comfortable doing it.

I recently loaned my $500 Porta-Nails floor nailer to a very good friend to install 2000 sq/ft of oak. He's a good friend who I'm glad to have in my life. He's always willing to help me flip a project, load my trailer, and he dosen't puke when I take him flying.

If something happened to the nailer, and we couldn't agree on getting it fixed, I value him over the tool. It's a tool, they'll make more... When he brought it back, he gave me a really nice case of Polish microbrew.

It all comes down to the value of stuff vs. friends. Most of my neighbors are simply acquaintances, not necessarily friends.

Reply to
Bonehenge

I like to be a good neighbor; so yes, whenever reasonable. But borrowing a compressor to put a floor in is just wrong. I lent a neighbor mine for a couple hours (along with my nailer) but for a floor he should buy his own compressor.

Reply to
Toller

Just say no I never loan tools. (Unless, of course, it is someone who loaned you stuff in the past.)

Steve

Reply to
support

G'day Greg, I'll lend tools to mates that I know will respect them, but make a general policy of not loaning tools or cash to anybody. It's a sure fire method of losing friends. On the other hand I don't borrow tools either and turn down most offers of a loan. In the past I have lent tools to people and had them back in a shocking condition, completely RS or just a "sorry it stopped" ???

On the other hand, I borrowed a whipper snipper from a mate many years ago. Needless to say, it turned bottom up. So I bought him a replacement. Outcome- I was short the cost of a machine and no machine to show for it. Never again

regards John

Reply to
John B

Yes!

Reply to
Andy

No horror stories. I'll loan something if I know the borrower is competent to use it. The few times I've loaned something it's come back as good as new. And it works the other way too. When I need to use something I have infrequent use for, I'll ask someone that has one. And then do my task and return it right away.

But I wouldn't loan to just anyone.

Also, my shop is in the basement so not that many people have seen my stuff. They don't know I own "it" so they don't ask.

Reply to
George Max

"Greg D." wrote

I just say in an ever louder tone of voice, "The last guy I lent tools to is dead, and I don't want to go into the details about how he died because it just gets me SO VERY ANGRY .............. "

at which time I start twitching the corner of one eye, banging whatever I have in my hand against the floor, grunting, etc.

They usually leave quickly.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

Reply to
sweetsawdust

"Greg D."

Sure, she can borrow them anytime. However, my general policy is, You can borrow it once, if you need it again, you need to buy one.

Dave

Teamcasa

...a divorced lady nest? Never heard of one before, but I kind of like the sound of it!

RicodJour

Depends on who wants what tool.

I did lend my miter saw to a guy for about a week. Deal was he'd get the blade sharpened when done. Came back in perfect shape and he paid for the sharpening. This is a guy that uses and respects tools so I had no worries.

OTOH, that was the only time I have been asked in many years. I like it that way.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Because Greg D. could, he/she/it opin'd:

I'd tell them I'd be glad to loan them any of my tools -- as long as they are willing to have me there operating the tool, too.

Otherwise, they should rent or buy the tool and do it themselves.

(I would probably make an exception for any of my brothers-in-law, 'cause I know they all know how to treat tools. Of course, I know this because I've seen them using their tools, and I'm sure any of them would go buy his own before asking to borrow mine ;^)

-Don

Reply to
Don Fearn

Really depends on the tool, and the person, and for how long Same with borrowing tools, if I can't repair it/replace it, I don't barrow it.

I "borrowed" my brothers router off and on for 3 years; worked out really well for both of us, he had a router he almost never used and only the round over bit it came with. I didn't have a router but got the bits and build jigs, table, etc. so any time he did need to use the router he had the accessory he needed. When I got my router I think he might have been a little disappointed that the base on mine matches his so he didn't get my router table, or some of my jigs, did give him so of the duplicate bits I had, I'll give him the router table when I build my new one, some day.

as far as lending things, I'll lend my Buddy Dave anything, simply because I trust him. For most other people me and the tools come as a package deal, "putting in a floor and need a compressor, sure I can come over and give you a hand with that."

The current work> Hi,

Reply to
Richard Clements

Sure I will, but it depends on the person. My next door neighbor is more anal about his tools than I am. He borrowed an older , fairly abused tool that I no longer had use for, it died while he was using it, and he replaced it with a new one. Heck, I would loan him my wife, and I bet she would come back in better shape than she left! A few guys I know I would not loan anything to. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

By tool less do you mean no tools or fewer tools?

My experience is even those with tools use them stupidly. Have you seen this guy doing anything involving wood before?

It comes in levels or steps of trust. A neighbor with no tools I'd loan a hammer but not anything that could cut. A neighbor that had a hammer I'd loan maybe a hand saw but not a power one. A neighbor with a hand saw I'd loan an electric drill but not a power saw. I'd not let anyone use a power saw that I did not know had used a power saw before. They need supervision.

Would you loan say a circular saw to someone that did not own a hammer? Not!

Would you loan a chainsaw to someone that did not own any other power tools? Not!

If the guy was any k> Hi,

Reply to
william kossack