Do you care where your tools are manufactured?

It's also an expression by those who view themselves and their viewpoints as so superior to people who disagree with them that they view others as inferior. Like know-it-all teenagers, that isn't necessarily the real case.

Reply to
Mark & Juanita

I'm wondering if a slight rewording of the sentence might contain an equal amount of truth:

"You get a lot of American (labor) who think that because they bother to (come to work) in the morning, they deserve success ... ".

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA

Reply to
Tom Veatch

All the ones you can buy are. They have vapor ware announcements of coming miracle cars on a regular basis. Time will tell if any actually get to market.

Reply to
John Horner

Seems like I heard the same thing about the Saw Stop. :~)

Reply to
Leon

You can see lots of data here:

2008 Tahoe Flex Fuel vehicles get EPA estimates of 14/20 city/highway when running on Gasoline vs. 11/15 on E85. Fuel economy on E85 is thus about 75% of that on Gasoline in this test.

Reply to
John Horner

For every one of these coming-miracles you hear about only a fraction actually make it. Saw-stop's project was many times easier to pull off than a car which actually meets a rigorous set of safety standards is. In the end the Saw-stop folks were able to add their nifty device to the product of a machinery contract production shop in Asia. 95% of the product is pretty much the same technology one finds in a 40 year old Delta Unisaw. Safety, uptime and reliability requirements are mostly set in the minds of customers, not by rigorous goverment test procedures. The point is that there are few real parallels between the Zap and Saw-stop companies.

I hope Zap pulls it off, but the odds are against them. Several years back I toured the Corbin factory where the "revolutionary" Electric Sparrow was to be made. They actually got about 300 of them onto the market but the company went down in a flurry of recalls and lawsuits. Lots of upset dealers and investors who had put up money and gotten none of it back. Sparrow never made it past the three wheel (no safety testing needed) stage. After going bust another guy bought the remains. He went bust and then a small outfit in Phoenix picked up the pieces and I think is still plugging away making Sparrows at almost $30k each, which is crazy money for a golf cart missing a wheel.

John

Reply to
John Horner

I totally understand and agree. I've cut filters open to check 'em out. We cut open every filter that comes off my airplane to inspect for metal, so I have a purpose-made tool.

My filter is empty on this vehicle when I remove it, all 12 or so times I've done it. Frank's is not.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Houston is warmer and flatter.

Reply to
B A R R Y

Your ignorance in no way negates reality. Weekenders are another way to get a stack of bucks with little family disturbance. They work the ED mostly around here, where the 16/8/16 or variations thereof fill the void and the pocketbook while not violating overtime rules, since they're personal contractors.

Home health nurses sometimes _need_ SUVs to get where they're going. They bill on a contact and travel basis.

Reply to
George

Houston also has a lot of sit and wait in traffic.

I find cooler gives better gas mileage and when vacationing in the mountains the gas mileage really does not suffer much. Hills are offset by down hills. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

On some vehicles it does not matter if the filter oil drains back. Toyota has a specific spec for this particular filter and vehicle that the OEM must adhere to. Aftermarket tends to build fewer filters that work with many more applications and will add features that are not necessary in order to cut down on bigger inventories. Sometimes more features are cheaper to produce than 3 or 4 of the same basic filter with 3 or 4 varying degrees of protection built in side. Toyota's filter probably does not need the check valve and is probably left out to assist with an easier and less messy filter change. Franks filter probably adds .01% more protection during cold start up after setting over night, maybe.

Reply to
Leon

You are one classy guy. I hope she reads your postings.

Reply to
John Horner

Typically facial jesters and or grunts used in place of words are an animal instinct reaction when one is typically at a loss of words and or feels he or she must make some kind of response. The more one's education works to your advantage and or the smarter you are, the less likely actions vs. words are used.

Reply to
Leon

Bingo. That goes for college graduates also.

Reply to
Leon

More classy than her husband .

Reply to
J. Clarke

And that's not the real cost. Take away the subsidies (your paying for them with your taxes) add in the 20% spike in food products that rely on field corn for food stock (Beef,pork) in the last year, apply all at a weighted average in your life and you get the real cost of E85.

Frank

Reply to
Frank Boettcher

Exactly, Frank

Reply to
Leon

No way... more room for us here when they leave.. lol

Really, there are huge amounts of Mexican citizens coming back to from the States, mostly to Baja where high tech companies are getting very big.. Especially on the border near San Diego..

I'd like to see the flow going away for selfish reasons, though... keep things inexpensive here in Baja.. Contractors building houses in my area can't get enough labor and the cost of building has more than doubled in the last 3 years..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

It's really interesting how much difference employment is here and in the States.. In the States, anyone can do any job that they can do and can get..

In Baja, a gringo can't do any thing that would take a job away from a Mexican national.. no bartending, landscaping, building, etc..

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Account for the equivalent in subsidies and tax treatment to petroleum-based production then, too, in order for it to be a more nearly level playing field.

As noted before, the increase in food costs is made much of and ascribed in the popular press as owing to ethanol production but it is not so nearly a direct correlation as that. Much is owing simply to production costs are higher owing to (gasp, hold on now, revelation coming!) higher petroleum costs -- fuel, fertilizer, chemical, irrigation costs are all petroleum based and have skyrocketed if you haven't noticed. As a simple example, it now takes almost $500 of fuel to fill the tractor which lasts only one day during planting season. It also was a lower yield year owing to weather through much of corn belt and wheat production was down drastically in all the major wheat-producing regions worldwide so stocks are down irrespective of demand.

Reply to
dpb