dimensioned lumber

I had a friend that had a home built in the 20's in Houston. The studs were not only larger that today's studs they were oak. I would hot have believed it has I not seen it. He was doing some restoring and had a wall opened up.

Reply to
Leon

-MIKE- wrote in news:mb846o$kpp$ snipped-for-privacy@dont-email.me:

rough-sawn

Possibly I didn't state my point as clearly as I intended -- which was that, regardless of the actual finished dimension, when you're building a house from two-by lumber that has been finished, it's all been finished to the *same* dimension: all the 2x4s are the same size, all the

2x8s are the same size *and* they're the same thickness as the 2x4s, etc.

In a house built with rough lumber, most of the 2x4s are actually pretty close to 2" x 4", but some of them may be 1 7/8 x 4, some may be 2 1/8 x 3 15/16, etc.

Reply to
Doug Miller

They are full of water. They will likely be 1.5 x 3.5 after they dry out, they will be a lot lighter weight too.

This is one of the reasons that I try to buy lumber that is kiln dried after being PT when stability in desirable and that is typically more expensive.

Anybody besides Stahlman's sell kiln dried PT, Leon?

Dave in SoTex

Reply to
Dave in South Texas

Not that I am aware of... ;~( I used to live withing a couple of miles of the Stafford location. Now I only live in the neighborhood of two of the guys that work there about 15 miles away.

Reply to
Leon

ACQ is pretty benign. Unless you're buying stuff for underground or water contact use, it will likely be ACQ. I don't think CCA (the stuff with arsenic) isn't sold to homeowners anymore.

Reply to
krw

I've certainly seen "stud grade" 2x4(x8)s.

Trust but verify? ;-)

Reply to
krw

Yes, "stud grade" but for the ones that just say "stud" they were not 8s... That said, I have no doubt that the way dimension lumber is stamped varies across the country and across vendors.

I recall when I first saw the SPF stamp... viewed it as complete junk after having used Douglas Fir framing lumber. Now SPF is the norm!

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I would think since they are wet, they are 1/8 larger, and will shrink once they dry.

Are these for inside? or outside?

Reply to
woodchucker

Yellowwood maybe ? always dry.