did a stupid thing again...

Primarily not guiding your piece properly. A splitter can help avoid catastrophy, but the cause was in the way you passed the piece through. It's better to know why it happend than to credit something that covered for bad technique. I'm curious though Gary - did you have adequate support under the whole workpiece, or most of it? What were you using to guide the stock through? Miter, or sliding table? What amount of the stock was supported?

Ha! See - good reason not to use those "gadgets"... (just joking for those who are funny impared)

Not true. Your table saw is perfectly capable of doing cut offs. You will see fly-by's when you allow the stock to twist as you complete the cut. If that same twist had happened earlier you'd have experienced a bind. Your miter saw might well have been a better choice, but that does not make a tablesaw the wrong tool to use for this type of cut. Again - it goes back to technique. If you use the fence for a narrow piece you will lack control - bad technique. If you use the miter on that same table saw to do this you have all the stability you need.

Not understanding what really happens in an accident and then giving credit to the wrong thing for preventing accidents from recurring in the future only guarntees another accident down the road. I made a joke above, but the point is very real. You cannot put faith in things like splitters and guards. As you saw Gary, you had a splitter in place and you had an accident. It isn't about splitters and guards. It's about what makes wood go airborn. It's always bad technique. Splitters can indeed cover for the bad technique a good deal of the time, but the bad technique is still there. That's what requires the focus with power tools. Sooner or later bad technique is going to catch up with you faster than not having idot proof devices will. BTW - I really do believe splitters are a good idea - really. Honestly.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Actually, it's kinda silly, IMHO. What's important is the ratio of the length of the cut-off piece vice the width. As this increases, up to a point, the likelihood increases that the cut-off piece can vibrate into a position such that it jams between blade and fence. Wham! Nothing to do with splitter.

Who knows? Who cares? In fact, you can greatly increase safety by clamping a spacer to your fence, then set its position for locating the position of work on miter-gauge. Auxiliary fence? Mainly, as cut is finished, there's lots of daylight at the fence-end of the cut-off piece. Watch Norm- he does this regularly.

Good books by Ian Kirby, Jim Tolpin, and others may help you to make sense of this, and keep all your pieces.

John

Reply to
John Barry

I have found this an interesting post to read and sure has made me think...

A thought from me. When I started WW I didn't like the idea of safety glasses, so I bought those large sheilds that the turners usually use. On a cross cut ... the small cut off fell off to the right and I did not clear it... On a subsequent cut, the piece launched off and smashed my full face shield ... Bad operation on my part ... yes. Happy to have that sheild to protect my throat!!

Brandt

Reply to
brandt

Like I said earlier... there are other things on your face worth protecting besides your eyes. I kinda enjoy having front teeth, for instance. Tough to eat apples without them, ya know.

Doug Miller

Likewise here. When doing things that require eye protection I prefer to go with a full face shield as much as possible. Sometimes it's not practical, but to the extent that I can, I don the full face shield. So much easier to work in.

Reply to
Mike Marlow