Detecting leaks in DC, how-to

Any tips on how to detect DC leaks? I use a 1.5HP DC, a pre-DC cyclone garbage can, corrugated 4" tubing, blast gates. I was looking for a step-by-step DC tuneup.

Reply to
Phisherman

When my DC bag wasn't correctly sealed, there was a layer of sawdust left upon the outside shell. Maybe you can start by looking for tell-tale signs of sawdust from obvious leaks? Aside from that, you raise a very good question; my installation is barely a year old, but down the road in a few years, I can envision needing to find places where seals have started to fail.

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Detecting leaks in D.C.? Really you have to run a tight ship to keep people from blabbing to the press. You can narrow down where to look somewhat by asking who had access to the leaked info. The reporter won't be of any help, of course.

Reply to
Gordon Airporte

Use smoke. A smoldering piece of cotton rope will do.

As far as a tune up goes. Get rid of the 4" tuding and replace with 4" or

6" spiral or PVC pipe. That tub> Any tips on how to detect DC leaks? I use a 1.5HP DC, a pre-DC
Reply to
Marty

If you mean leaks in the ducting, just look for the big sucking wounds. Seriously, any significant leak in ducting would be obvious. Small leaks that would require sniffing with smoke are meaningless in such a system. Blast gates always leak too. Concentrate on eliminating leaks around the garbage can lid, using weatherseal for example, and get rid of as much corrugated hose as possible. Smooth ID hose or pipe makes a big difference.

--

******** Bill Pounds
Pounds on Wood

Thanks, I'll check out the garbage can lid. I was thinking about using a stick of burning incense. It is difficult to replace the flexible corrugated hose with PVC without an overhead system (and the

1.5HP is just not enough power).
Reply to
Phisherman

Sure it is. I've got a 1.5HP Penn State collector with a trash can cyclone connected by a Rube Goldberg collection of 4" hose, 4" PVC and various fittings and blast gates. I should have done this long ago. Clean up these days is minimal.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I agree with starting with the big stuff, but small leaks can add up quickly. On my system (2hp Oneida) plugging 5 small leaks (couldn't see them, but smoke found em) increased cfm at the tablesaw from

510cfm to 680cfm (@ 7"h20). This made a noticable difference in the amount of dust left on the saw.
Reply to
Folklore