Canister Filtration for DCs - Opinions

I have a standard 2HP DC with the usual upper and lower cloth bag. However, I note that when using this DC to collect the router and saw shavings from solid surface countertops that the fine dust soon clogs the upper bag, thus reducing the DC's efficiency. For just about $200, I could convert my DC to a canister filter on the top and plastic bag on the bottom. According to Penn State Industries catalog, the canister dramatically improve a DC's efficiency by providing much more filter area and a finer filter for flour-like dust (such as that produced from cutting and milling solid surface). Is anyone using the PSI canisters or those offered by Delta and Jet and do DCs with canisters perform as promised (and better than conventional cloth bags)?

Thanks in advance for your input.

Reply to
TEF

I just saw one of those canister demonstrations. There's a handle on top that you rotate. As it rotates, it vibrates the canister and scrapes the dust to the bag below.

Reply to
Phisherman

Amazon sells a canister replacement for about $150. I used it on my Delta

2hp DC. Amazon's search for canister vac stuff returns a retro kit for Jet DCs for about $200. The retro kit includes metal ring that canister sits on and the clear bag clips to. Unfortunately the air intake for this ring is a different size than that on the blower on the Delta DC. Bottom line, keep searching on Amazon for the $150 canister only. That said... I use the DC equally for chip pick up (tablesaw, planner, etc) and dust (stationary sander). I can't tell if the suction has improved but the amount of dust that blows through the top bag (5 micron bag) has clearly diminished (canister is 2 micron). Also, having a clear plastic bag is much better because you can see when it needs to be emptied.
Reply to
Jim Giblin

My only experience is with the Jet cannister vs. the stock bags on a DC-1100A.

The flow with the cannister installed is vastly better than the bags. My DC is located in an area with a 7 foot ceiling, larger than stock bags wouldn't fit, so the canister was my only option. Overall, I'm happy with the value vs. performance of the upgrade.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I've used both Jets. a 1200 with bags and more recently an 1100 ck with can filter and remote. I'd say during use, i didn't notice any difference from the 1200 w/bags and the new 1100 canister. both flow well. The advantage of the canister has is definately better filtration. I've noticed much less dust in the shop now. Plus, the plastic bag is much easier to change. On the 1200 the bottom bag had to be clamped to the collar on the outside which was a real PITA sometimes. On the 1100 ck, the plastic bag is held in place by a ring that fits inside the collar on the DC. Much easier.

--dave

"B a r r y"

Reply to
Dave Jackson

You guys are all using 1½ to 2 HP DCs and I was wondering whether a 1 HP with a 4" inlet is worthwhile for my small workshop... assuming I'm using one tool at a time?

Also, would it be overkill to use a "Cyclone Cover" with a 1HP unit or would it work?

Mike

Reply to
captmikey

It would be fine for one tool at a time, with a short pipe and few turns.

It wouldn't be overkill with a jointer or planer. They make a lot of chips and the can is usually easier to empty than a DC bag.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

This is cheap maintenance for whatever DC you end up with. Rather than chips going though your impellor blades, they end up in the trash can. How much longer would you think impellor blades might last? Just imagine an airliner engine ingesting a bird and you get the picture.

The cyclones are dirt cheap compared to the cost of what you're trying to protect. That makes it an easy decision.

Reply to
Mortimer Schnerd, RN

I have a Jet 1 hp. unit, and I use a separator lid that I think works pretty good. My shop is small in size, and all I use is flexable hose from machine to machine.

Just my opinion, but I am an expert at that!

Reply to
ToolMiser