Jet canister dust collector & bags

For over a year now I've had the Jet 1.5hp dust collector with the canister filter on top and the clear plastic bags on the bottom. It works well but I frequently have a problem of the bag getting cut and leaking/blowing dust and shavings out. I don't know if it's due to woodturning's sharper off cut chunks that occur when roughing out or just the nature of the beast.

Once I spot the ant hill of wood dust and chips on the DC caster platform, I grab the clear packing tape, patch the hole and vac up the escapees. All is good for a while until I spot yet another ant hill forming. After a few times of this I figure it's time for a new bag and the dance goes on. (BTW, I reuse bags since my city accepts the dust and shavings in our "yard recycle" can - but that doesn't seem to be a factor as the brand new bags will often develop cuts in fairly short order.)

I've looked into getting industrial drum liners, but at almost $200 per box of 25 or somesuch I've been able to resist. I've also looked at commercially available cans, drums or barrels that will fit in the bag's space and making up some sort of fabric chute between the DC's rim and the can - haven't got a round tuit yet.

This afternoon after carefully positioning and religiously repositioning my DC hose to pick up as much shavings and dust as possible directly from some cocobolo I was turning, I noticed after a bit I was only transferring the cocobolo that would have ended up at my feet to a pile on the floor next to the DC. Damn, another cut in the bag.

The notion of trying to contain the spillage at that moment fit with my timetable rather than going through the exercise of taping or changing bags. I headed to the garage and emptied the rakes, shovels and pick axe from an old galvanized "shorty" trash can that used to hold dog food but was converted to a standing yard tool holder some years back. It fit perfectly between the uprights of the DC, the swiss-cheese bag was lifted and placed into the can, all the while still attached to the DC, and I turned the thing back on to get back to turning. The bag inflated with the pressurized air just fine and filled the trash can like a balloon. I'm thinking the can will support the bag from being poked through.

A happy side-note: the DC is noticeably quieter. That whooshing roar isn't nearly as loud as it used to be. Two Bushies, one rock. ;)

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I have read a number of times that you are recommended to have a pre-separator between your tool and your DC. The pre-separator is often a galavanized steel trash can with a tight lid on it. The lid has two openings for 4" hoses. One hose goes to the tool and one goes to the DC. The idea of these pre-separators is to collect chunks. They can also prevent an accidental piece of metal (e.g., a screw) from hitting the impeller blade in your DC. I have seen one for sale on Amazon but I just did a quick look and don't see it at the moment. A cyclone type DC has a similar idea where big chunks fall into the bottom tank.

Reply to
Dick Snyder

Do you have any type of pre-collector cyclone? (aka trash can cyclone). I added one to my setup because the above table collection on my table saw kept sucking up small offcuts. Now I hear a satisfying clang as the chunks hit the trashcan rather than go through the dust collector.

Bob

Reply to
bluemax1811-newsgroups

Fly-by-Night CC wrote in news:onlnlowe- snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com:

How large are the projects you're turning, Owen? I've just begun to use the lathe function, such as it is, on my Shopsmith, and I seem to generate copious volumes of chips, ribbons, etc., as I practice, and make yet another carver's mallet. ;-)

Probably as much volume as a session with the surface planer, readying stock for say, an end table. Enough to completely fill a good sized shop vac, if I did it that way.

I agree with you. I hate the plastic bags, without a doubt. Most of mine have duct tape on the bottom before they are through. There's a trash can seperator in the new system, which works pretty well, if emptyed on time.

Patriarch

Reply to
Patriarch

Owen, you might want to try the Delta plastic bags. My Delta 1.5 HP with the fine mesh upper bag, has had the same lower plastic bag for two years with no blowouts. Admittedly, we might be stretching it, but it's worth a try. BTW, I don't use a separator... no more room.

Reply to
Don Sforza

Doesn't sound like you have very good bags... I bought a pack of three(Jet) at Woodcraft over a year ago and I have yet to put my third one on.

Reply to
Pat Barber

Hmmm. Well the bags I'm using are from the original batch that Jet packaged with the DC. They measure about .003" thick. I'll keep an eye out for the Delta's.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Kinda mixed sizes. Bowls will really generate the shavings. Rough out a couple 10" bowls and you'll be in it pretty deep.

I made up my own separator a while back from a fiber drum I found in a ditch alongside the road. Works very well, but I recently moved all my turning activities to a dedicated room in my basement and just don't have room for the large drum plus the DC. Plus I now don't have a DC in my garage where the saw, bandsaw, planer and jointer still are. I'm keeping my eye out for a used 1hp DC for my turning room.

Reply to
Owen Lowe

I hear ya!

I have similar issues. There has to be a better way.. some form of solid drum. I've yet to try. I also noticed that when the bag gets about 1/3rd full, chips start to get pulled up > For over a year now I've had the Jet 1.5hp dust collector with the

Reply to
nospam_coloradotrout