Filtration Rate of Grizzly Canister Dust Collector

I have checked Grizzly web site and I see that they are selling a 2HP canister dust collector that looks like the one that JET introduced to market not so long ago. The interesting espects are:

- It is rated to filter down to 1-micron (vs 2-micron in JET).

- Its filter is made from spun bonded polyester instead of paper (JET's is made from paper, right?) According to Bill's Cyclone web site, spun bonded polyester is preferred because it is more durable.

Seem like it is a very good choice if someone cannot use a cyclone (may be "vertically challenged", not enough budget, ...etc). I have a couple questions though:

- It can filter dusts down to 1-micron. This is good. But I am under the impression that we should filter the dust down to 0.5-micron. How big a difference between these two filtration rates in term of health and cleanliness anyway?

- JET came up with a 2-micron canister last year, and Grizzly came up with a 1-micron canister this year. Should I expect to see a canister that can handle 0.5-micron dusts next year (as in 2004)? Anyone knows any information about this trend?

- What's that 1-micron filtration rate really mean anyway? Does this mean it can filter down to 1-micron but only at 75% efficiency? If this is the case, it may be able to filter down to 2-micron at 99% efficiency, and this may mean that it should have been rated as

2-micron after all, instead of the "marketing friendly" 1-micron rating. This is just a guess. I would like to see if someone knows something about this rating.

- Is the filter "certified" as having that filtration rating? Or is it just something the vendor comes up with?

- Has anyone used it? How does it work so far?

By the way, I am not likely to buy that Grizzly dusts collector because it needs 220 volt that I don't have. I am only interested in filtration rate of its filter.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

it the situation of these dc's I can see the paper wearing out. any find dust and shavings can spin back up into the fitter. that will wear it out.

it's better then a bag for sure.

yes .5 is better. but if you don't make a lot of fine sawdust it may be ok. I have not checked one of the new dc's out but if it has good airflow and you keep the fitters clean it will filter the fine sawdust too. the better the airflow the more sawdust the filter will filter.

who knows. lets hope grizzly is telling the truth.

with these filters I doubt we will ever know. my cyclone filters are rated.

Reply to
Steve Knight

Would you please explain this again. Are you trying to explain why paper is not as good as spun bonded polyester? If this is so, thanks for the confirmation.

You are quite right to point this out. Without certification, who knows what the real filtration rate is.

Thanks for sharing your thought.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Ask Grizzly what percentage of 1 micron particles are filtered out and post their answer. I asked Jet the same question about their "2 micron" cannister filter and the answer was "it filters down to 2 microns". In other words if they have real filter specs they aren't saying. Makes me suspicious. Even 3M disposable furnace filters have more detailed specs. Another question related to the design of these fiters is whether the mechanical flexing of the filter pleats needed to remove accumulated dust cake from the filter to keep its flow decent affects the filtration specs? Do they change over time?

Reply to
Steve James

I took your advice, and emailed Grizzly about the efficiency rating of the filter in their cannister dust collector. I will post their answer (if any) when I get something back from them.

I have a feeling that I may get the similar answer as what you got from JET. I will not be surprised if that filter actually capture much less than 99% of dusts that are 1-micron small. Oh well...

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan

Their reply is that they don't have it in stock and cannot look at it to find out the information that I need. Seem like a deadend to me.

Sorry for the discouraging news.

Jay Chan

Reply to
Jay Chan