depth of stair tred cuts

was looking at their prices and came across this

the stair treads look to be cut a little too deep for that span as it stands in that photo

would add another set of posts and a beam midspan just in case

and there are also some unfortunate knots right at the apex of the tred cuts which could be a delayed problem

adding the treds and a railing and coats of paint and maybe some non skid surface and the weight starts to accumulate

then there is the live loading

Reply to
Electric Comet

With 3 stringers/"horses", there seems to be plenty of meat remaining. Besides, looks like thicker than 2x to me, but hard to tell for certain...

Reply to
bnwelch

Looks WELL within code to me.

Reply to
Clare Snyder

Not all unfortunate knots become a problem. With the proper support and encouragement, they can become productive embers of society. In some cases, even the most unfortunate knots do it on their own. They pick themselves up by their bootstraps and make something of themselves.

Please don't paint all knots with such a broad brush. If you do, at least use the proper primer.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

*still chuckling*

Good one. A favorite of mine: "He wood if he could, but he can't so he's knot."

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

thought it might be thicker too but it is hard to tell

it is also pine so may need to be thicker

Reply to
Electric Comet

Your linked vendor specializes in rough sawn lumber...prob full 2" thick...still think it is under sized?

Reply to
bnwelch

They look fine to me. Also, keep in mind the wall stringer is likely tied to the wall, through a 2x4 spacer. I would use a cleat at the bottom, however.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Doesn't look at thick than 1.5" to me. Also, I don't get why pine would have to be thicker. Pine 2x12s have been used to make literally tens of millions of stringers in the past several decades.

Reply to
-MIKE-

Seen just yesterday on an embedded-systems newsletter I subscribe to...

The Lord told the snakes "Go forth and multiply!"

"The snakes said "Oh Lord Almighty, we cannot follow your command, for we are adders."

Thus spaketh the Lord "Go and fell those trees and build furniture out of them. For adders can multiply with the aid of log tables".

Reply to
dpb

Nonsense. Obviously standard store-bought 2x12 material; look pretty good for today's market.

Go to one of the online beam calculators and checkout what a 2x6 span is remembering you've got three for the load. That'll be a quite good-enough approximation to the uncut span; you can try to measure more closely from the picture if you wish, but eyeball looks like close enough to me...

Reply to
dpb

Well, it's obvious they were following the Golden Ratio for the staircase, 1 up and 1.6 across, so the cuts are normal. The Golden Ratio automatically makes for sufficient load bearing, right?

All the lumber, there, looks beefy. I doubt those folks miscalculated anything.

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

Can't never could do anything.