Delta Jointer Fence

I just put together my X5 6" jointer and am not sure if my fence is set up properly. It's my first jointer, so I have no frame of reference when it comes to fence operation.

There is a small tab that extends down from the fence on the outfeed side just to the left of the cutter. The tab is only an inch or so wide. It basically rests on the table and unless I lift and lock the fence into place, it will scrape across the table when I move the fence back and fourth. It seems like an awkward way for a fence to set up. This can't be the way it operates?

Any suggestions??

Reply to
Rebecca Paterno

Rebecca,

I don't have a Delta but on mine that tab has a small Teflon (plastic) button that is stuck into a small hole on that tab. This Teflon is what rubs on the table. I just checked the Delta site and both the Owners manual and the Parts breakdown and neither shows the tab you're talking about and there is no part listing showing a rub block either. My guess is that the manual illustration is not showing all the details.

Bob S.

Reply to
Bob S

My 8-inch X5 jointer has the same "feature". I was able to set the height of the fence such that the tab does not touch the table.

Reply to
Art Greenberg