Delta Jet Lock Fence

Hello All:

I just acquired a 1957 Unisaw (gloat omitted but implied) with the Jet Lock Fence. I assumed I would replace that fence but now I am having second thoughts. Any of you guys using the Jet Lock? Care to comment on its strengths and limitations? Have you made any modifications to make it more accurate or reliable? I was thinking that wood or UUHM fence faces would be a nice addition. Also thinking of ways to make the scale more readable like using a marker to get ink down into the numbers and marks and then rubbing it off of the rail surface. Anything else? These things were standard issue for over 50 years; how bad can they be?

Thanks,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Martin

I use the one that came with, but I don't rely on the scale, rather a rule between the first tooth and the fence. Of course, I don't rely on the 90 degree stop on the blade either, but check against my square, same as my miter gage. Final setting is made with the fence half tightened.

I don't see any weaknesses other than those after over 20 years with it. One at school has been abused by amateurs for almost fifty years, is checked at least twice a year for tight adjustment.

Reply to
George

It's my understanding that this was a transaction between two consenting adults and you made out like a fat rat?

Sorry Jim but there's a point of order to be established. If the fence that is on your saw is the original as sold with the saw then it's a Micro-Set. Jet Locks have the singular locking lever/square and butt fugly head casting whilst the Micro-Set has the lever and a thumb nut for the back rail. The Art Deco styling of the Micro-Set are way better cool looking than the Jet Lock.

Oh, the Jet Lock was introduced 1962ish.

I did but only long enough until I could get my table built and install the (insert name of after market fence here).

The strengths are, it's a fence and it works. Locked down it doesn't budge. It does what Herbert Tautz intended it to do. Also, should you want to attach some sort of hold downs these fences will readily accept them.

Limitations? I suppose limitations have to be taken into account when the fence is compared to a (insert after market fence here). The (insert after market fence here) beats the snot out of the Micro-Set/Jet Locks for speed of setting up and usage. I no longer wait for the blade to spin down so I can spread a tape from the front tooth to the fence. No longer have to measure from the miter slot over to the fence (which by the way always worked out to be on a 1/32", i.e.,

7 13/32", 15 9/32", 23 7/32" and so on) and tap the fence in at the front and the back until I line up with the dimension ending in a 32nd.

That is one of the things that is good about the fence over the Biesemeyer. Some day I suppose a light will go on in Delta's pea brain and they will offer the Biesemeyer with removable (UHMW) fence faces.

sigh...

Wellllllll. Let's put it this way. I used four fences to restore my one good Micro-Set. The main reason was so when the magazines came by to show case the saw it would be as stock as it was when it first got sold. I now have a (insert after market fence here) and the Micro-Set fence is permanently not attached anymore.

That's not to say that I don't think everyone should experience the Micro-Set/Jet Lock. Trouble with people today is they got it entirely too easy. Why, when I was a youngster...

Your Mileage May Vary.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

Gloat mode on. Well, only if you consider paying $200 for a single phase 1957 Unisaw in real good condition with all the original parts except the miter gage and the motor cover making out like a fat rat. ;-). Did I mention the mint condition King Sealy/Craftsman drill press that I got in the same deal for an additional $90? Gloat mode off.

that is on your saw is the original as sold with the saw then it's a Micro-Set.

Oakey doakey. Thanks.

the fence (which by the way always worked out to be on a 1/32", i.e.,

and the back until I line up with the dimension ending in a 32nd.

Whoa, flashback to my Emerson/Craftsman. YIKES!! That saw was a nightmare. I guess I've become spoiled over the last few saws (two with a Beismeyer and one Inca). Thanks for the reality check! I'll probably go with the Unifence because I have become so used to the flexibility of the Inca fence.

Cheers,

Jim

Reply to
Jim Martin

I had a Unifence on mine in the shop till I bought a second Unisaw, and moved the first to the garage (more room) and the 1949 model to the basement. Same comments about squaring and measuring the fence. I will probably purchase a unifence or biesemeyer when I come across a deal on a short one. The big ones don't work in my shop(first sentence), and I know I will run across someone who wants to get a big one. Just my opinion.

Reply to
ToolMiser

Pinut a face on it and your pointer will be off, so you'll have to measure. Works for me, though.

John Mart

Reply to
JMartin957