Delta BS table pin

Hello,

I recently bought a used Delta 14" bandsaw, model 28-206. The previous owner lost the pin that levels both sides of the table. I checked Delta's website and the part is only listed as "pin", no size. Does anyone know the size, diameter, of the pin? Can a replacement be made from something purchased at local hardware stores? Thanks in advance, Roy Fek

Reply to
royfek43

On my Delta 14" bandsaw (model 28-262), the pin is tapered. It's 0.343" in diameter at the outer end, tapering smoothly down to 0.313" at the inner end.

If I were you, I'd call Delta and order the part from them. Or see if a local dealer can get it for you.

Doug Miller

The pin is probably slightely tapered and I doubt some off the shelf from a hardware can be found.

There are various theories on the purpose of the pin but I think its there to stop vibration from flexing the table, with the subsequent fatiguing of the cast iron.

why not temporarily replace it with a nut and bolt and order the pin from Delta?

Reply to
LP

Order a new one. Unlikely you will find one at a hardware store. It is tapered and properly lines up the table so it is important.

Reply to
Phisherman

Actually, band saw tables have to have a slit in them in order for them to be able to take a blade otherwise we'd all be having to braze our own bands every time we wanted to change a blade. In fact, this slitting of the table is one of the first steps in machining a table for a band saw.

The next step is to drill the side of the table at the slit for a tapered pin.

Next up the pin is inserted and the table is machined flat and to take what ever mechanical fasteners that are required to attach it to the rest of the band saw.

The tapered pin is there to hold the table where it was held when it was originally machined. It has nothing to do with vibration or metal fatigue. In fact, many times you'll find a table that's just not right and in you pop the pin and all is well. That's it's job and it's only job.

And they are cheap also.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

My MSC catalog is downstairs and I'm just too lazy to head down there and look this up at the moment... Do tapered roll pins from the hardware stores come this large?

On a related note, the pin in my Delta is always very hard to remove - I end up using the claws of a hammer to pry it out. Anyone have any tricks to getting it out by hand or something a little more convenient that could be dedicated to the task?

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

Well the 40 oz Coke Slurpee I enjoyed a couple hours ago was weighing heavy on my bladder and I just couldn't cross my legs any tighter, so on the way back upstairs from the bathroom (ahhhhhh!) I picked up my MSC Big Book as well as swung by the garage for some dial calipers and the table pin from my saw (had to again hunt for the hammer).

Tapered pins do come that large but it appears that my pin (from the wear marks) stops .001" short of a standard #6's maximum diameter (.3410"). Meaning that the standard pin likely has too small a diameter to use. However, if you move up to a #7, the max diameter is .409" and with a taper of .02083" per length inch; you'd need a 4" pin to get the minimum diameter of the taper small enough to fit into the hole.

It certainly looks as though it could be a solution, and you might want to see if you can find a #6 to try on your table, but I'd kinda doubt the local Ace Hardware has 4" #7s in stock - at least, I've never seen any in mine.

Reply to
Fly-by-Night CC

I suspect one could get one to work but the pin for my saw is tapped on the end for a screw which allows the attachment of a chain which allows for conveniently attaching to the side of the table (also tapped). 'Sides, it was pretty cheap from the manufacturer so I took the easy way out.

I tap mine out from beneath the table. I've got a wee little ball peen that I picked up from a rummage/estate sale that I use.

UA100

Reply to
Unisaw A100

I tapped the hole and use a slightly tapered length of bolt with a wing nut mounted on the end. Works fine for me.

Reply to
Gerald Ross

Turn it with a wrench.

Mine stays fairly loose because I use WD 40 on the table a lot.

Reply to
George

Mine has a hex head (dunno if yours does). I just put a wrench on it and start turning, and it comes out easily.

Doug Miller

All the ones I have seen use a standard taper pin. Available at any hardware store, just buy a few (about 15 cents each) and try them until you find one that fits.

Reply to
CW

Putty knife blade in the slot, and gently tap it to break it free should work as well

John

Reply to
John

My Delta manual (and Duginski) recommends using a wrench.

Reply to
Phisherman

A #7 taper pin should do just fine. The head will stick out 3/8" or thereabouts. Find a length of 1-1/2" or greater - you can always cut the small end off.

Still not as good as the Delta part though, which has a hex head to give it a twist to start it out.

A #8 would also work, if you found a really long one. Say 4" or more, but I can't say for sure without a chart. The pins are sized by the large end, and the tapers are the same for all sizes, so the small end of a long #8 is like a #7.

John Martin

Reply to
JMartin957

previous