routing a rebate in pine

Hi all

I'm going to put a rebate in a pine door (french doors/lap koint), and am curious to know whether routing over the centre of a knot would cause a problem.

I'm going to seal the knots first but am worried that the force of the router might knock it out?

Any help welcome.

Regards

Matt

Reply to
news.tiscali.co.uk

Matt, it's kind of hard to tell with knots. You can run the router over one of them and it will be fine. The next will blow out like it was shot out of a cannon.

I would take very light passes over the knots so as not to allow the router bit to get a good grip on the them. What are you going to seal them with? Epoxy?

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Using the turner's friend, thin cyanoacrylate glue, is always a possibility. It will hold knots and close cracks in wood (or in your fingers for that matter; LOML, a florist, swears by it for that purpose). Of course even with the knot secured, it still behooves you to take it slow and to use the sharpest possible cutter. I've cut rebates and slots and dovetails in rather knotty southern yellow and white pines after using cyanocrylate.

Reply to
John McGaw

Thanks for your info Dave. The knot compound is Colron Kotting compound, it doesn't give a description on the tin but judging from the smell (it smells solvent based) it's a resin compound.

Any ideas on the router speed, full steam or slow rpm?

Reply to
news.tiscali.co.uk

On Saturday 29 Jan 2005 5:05 am, mac davis scribbled:

"A recess worked on the edge of a piece of wood over part of its thickness to form a bed for another part." From "Woodworker's Dictionary" by Vic Taylor

Often misspelled "rabbet", but "rabbit" is the more commonly accepted spelling on the wreck.

Reply to
Luigi Zanasi

If the knot is kind of dark and has a blak ring arround it, it is a loose knot and more likely it will come out, but if it is little dark and has not ring arround it, it is most likely a tight knot and the chance that it will come out is much less. However if you pass several shalow pass on it, you will be much safer.

Even if it comes out, yoy still can glue it back. Good luck Maxen

news.tiscali.co.uk wrote:

Reply to
mnadjari

other than money back, what's a rebate??

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

As any experienced fisherman knows, that's what you do with a hook, when that fishie manages to remove the first worm without getting caught.

In woodworking, a somewhat archaic term with the same meaning as "rabbet", a form of joinery that a craft master _always_ delegates to his journeyman.

Reply to
Robert Bonomi

you must be a maser baiter, Robert.. *g*

mac

Please remove splinters before emailing

Reply to
mac davis

Thanks, Luigi... it sounded like a dado, rabbet or mortise/recess, but I just couldn't picture what the OP was trying to cut..