Delta 36-717 - Any Experience?

After prowling this NG for the past few weeks and looking at multiple web sites, I've just about decided that my first (and probably last) table saw will be a Delta 36-717. Seems a good split between a $2500+ cabinet saw and a half decent contractors saw.

Anyone have experience with this saw that would either change my mind or solidify the jello in my brain? Any sugestions on a portable stand that will allow a 130 pounder to move this beggar around the garage?

Regards.

Tom

Reply to
xleanone

I haven't used the saw but my experiences with Delta's mobile bases have been good. Check with Delta to see which mobile base fits that saw. They do make one for the unisaw which may or may not work on your model.

Mike O.

Reply to
Mike

Get ahold of Grizzly and request a catalog. They're about the same price and quality. Most of my tools are Delta, and they're generally pretty good- but it's always good to compare at least two different brands before you decide.

Aut inveniam viam aut faciam

Reply to
Prometheus

Grizzly as good as Delta?...not in my world! Mike

Reply to
aswr

I have experience with it.

Oh, I'm sorry, I meant I have experience PAYING for it. I have no experience using it.

I ordered one in late February. It was promised for mid-March, late March, mid-April, and it was just backed up to mid-June.

I've called Delta, and they always say the same thing: "We have no idea."

I had a great idea, however: I just bought a Grizzly.

You should too. Near as I can tell this saw is what the software industry calls "vaporware."

Reply to
Mark Cooper

That's not as common or as lucrative as the "manufacturer's rebate" scam, however. Think of the sheer volume of items in retail, especially in the high-end electronics, cameras, and computer areas, that use this ploy to get your money for six or eight weeks of interest-free use. Instead of an item costing $80, you get the great bargain of parting with $130 and waiting a lo-o-o-o-o-ng time for your $50 rebate /with/ /no/ /interest/. Now, extend that free cash to manufacturers with all the rebate slips that get lost or never sent. What a crafty, LEGAL scam that has become!

Gerry < rant mode off >

Reply to
G.E.R.R.Y.