Decent cordless circular saw

I have a Makita 3 3/8" and and DeWalt 6 1/2".

The key to these things is a really good blade, and to immediately throw away the stock version. I use the Makita to rough out sheet goods in my trailer, making them easier to handle on the table saw.

With the brand-new stock blade, the Makita was barely able to cut ~ 8 ft. of 3/4" baltic birch ply per battery. In fact, I burned my first Makita out with a stock blade, as I didn't let it cool between cuts.

The same saw and battery is able to cut over 40 ft. of the same material with a $20 carbide blade installed, with no serious motor heating.

The difference was beyond belief!

I saw similar improvements on my DeWalt, cutting tubas.

The blades I have are Matsushita:

There are lots of similar blades selling for similar prices that will probably work just as well.

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

Am I the ONLY one in this thread to try a good aftermarket blade?

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

"Leon" wrote

Bingo ... the battery is the achilles heel.

My DeWalt cordless works great for a short time, but any eventually weakening of the battery capacity through use, even though fully charged, will have you reaching for a hand saw long before you can say "jack robinson".

A very limited use item and impractical as hell in an environment where no power is available ... charging on a car battery would have you back to the hand saw, as above.

BTDT

Reply to
Swingman

I bought the Sears 19.2 Volt set that included the Mini-Skill saw, reciprocating saw, sander and two-speed drill, light, three batteries and a charger.

They have a whole line of tools that "take" the battery (I tink its marketed as the C-3 series).

That little saw is a gem. Not the best for ripping a "two-by," but it will cut a 2 x 6 when called upon.

I do revert to my hypoid-gear skill saw for ripping along a 2 x 6 or a plywood panel as the little saws' blades are thin and like to wander. You need to go slow and pay attention when riping.

I wouldn't buy any of them to serve as the sole saw for constructing a room with 2 x 6 framing, but they are great for occasional use and for trimming an end while on a ladder cutting from underneath!

THe three batteries help with the power concerns as you can keep cycling them through the charger and tools such that you are seldom, if ever, waiting for one to charge.

The kit can be had for less than $200 - watch the clearance shelf - I got my set three years ago (when it first came out) for $180.

I recently built a barn and use the drills (I also have a 14.4 volt (the charger works for the 14.4 and 19.2 VDC Batteries) ) and recipro saw and mini skill saw to do all save some heavy ripping and birds mouth cuts for which I used the Hypoid. Barn is up with no complaints.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

" they have a cabin without power that needs occasional renovation. "

In that case, get them a generator. You will be killing a flock of birds with one present.

The mini saws will kill the battery faster if the work load increases. The batteries will lose some charge while sitting.And going back home to recharge them is a real drag.

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

Where are you buying your cords? Or are you talking about 16/2 cords?

I use a 20AMP rated10/2 and twenty of those would really sent you back some!

A generator is far cheaper

Reply to
Hoosierpopi

And good luck getting any power out of a tool running over a half a mile of extension cord.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I really appreciate all the efforts to inform me on the best choice. At least now I have no idea on what I am to do. Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

I bookmarked the webpage you gave. Looked like good prices on those blades. Thanks Lyndell

Reply to
Lyndell Thompson

Why not ask him what he wants to do?

But when you run the numbers, an 18v cordless saw runs 200 bucks minimum, including the charger and a battery. Lithium ion is going to cost you 350 or so. Add another hundred bucks for a spare 18v battery or 150 for lithium ion and you're talking 300-500 bucks. Then you need either more batteries or an inverter to run the charger from the car electrical system--that's another hundred bucks or so, so you're at 400-600 bucks. A 3 KW generator can be had for under 300 bucks and it can be used for a lot of things other than sawing.

Reply to
J. Clarke

I hope they help you as well as they've helped me.

When I toasted my 1st Makita, Wayne, an employee of the link I posted, led me over to the blades, and mentioned that pretty much everyone had switched.

The stock blade on the DeWalt 18v 6 1/2" saw is better than the 3 3/8" Makita, but still pretty weak.

I remember the first time I used a well sharpened and tuned hand saw, and was shocked at how much better a sawyer I was, and how effortless the saw cut. I'm sure it works the same for any power tool. Also, it always seems that every time a manufacturer wants to save a buck on a power saw, they cheap out on the included blade.

Still, none of these tools will replace a corded version in steady use, but what an improvement!

Reply to
Bonehenge (B A R R Y)

OK now I've decided, I'll cut the check and leave that following decision to them. The cordless may become a snow machine but I'm OK with that. Thanks for all the input. Jesse

Reply to
Jesse

I have a Ryobi and do recommend it as long as you let it do the work. Also Ryobi is one of the few cordless markers who sell all their tools separately.

Reply to
asmurff

Does he already have a cordless drill? If so, and it's 18V, you might be able to find the matching saw as a tool-only purchase on-line. That's how I bought my Dewalt circular saw, and that's how I'm getting the reciprocating saw that my wife is going to buy me for Christmas.

When you Google the brand you are looking for, include the words "tool only" and see what you get.

If he doesn't have a 18V drill, then perhaps he really does need a decent kit - drill, saw, etc.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

I have the Milwaukee V18 CS. It is the first saw I grab when I need to make a couple of cuts. I agree with Barry though the stock blade is good for nothing and a good aftermarket improves the saw at least 2 fold. Also Milwaukee has in their regular 18volt line a car charger. I never have needed one but it is nice to know that I could get one if it should arise. The stand alone saw with 2 batteries and charger is about $300 for the regular batteries or around $400 for the V18 Lithium.

Allen

Reply to
Allen Roy

I like the Ridgid 18V from Home Depot. It's sturdy, affordable, seems well made, cuts well and seems to hold a charge for a very long time, plus the batteries as well as the tool has a life-time guarantee. If (when) the batteries fail Ridgid replaces them under the guarantee. Since it's always the battery replacement that is the expensive item, this was a great plus for me.

Reply to
JimR

I did not know that about Ridgid batteries. That's a huge selling point.

Reply to
J. Clarke

The lifetime battery deal really is a good deal. The tools are pretty good tools too. Just be aware that the batteries are lifetime warrantee covered by Rigid themselves, and you can't just walk into a Home Depot store and swap out the batteries. Not such a big thing, but it's the kind of thing that would piss you off if you expected you could get the warranty exchange at the Home Depot, only to discover you can't.

Reply to
Mike Marlow