Dado Recommendation

Hello Folks,

During my next trip to the US, I?m planning to get a dado cutter set for my TS (4 HP, max. 12? blades). Unfortunately, we can?t get the affordable ones any more here in Germany for security reasons. Two questions: What is your recommendation for a good quality set which can be mail ordered in advance to the address of a friend in the US? Are you aware of sets for 30mm arbors or a commercial source for 5/8 to

30 mm adaptors?

TIA

Matthias

Reply to
Matthias Muehe

What security issues would they have with dado blades??

RicodJour

All tools with manual feed used in commercial environments must have a chip thickness control/limitation as otherwise something could get caught and fire back. AFAIK this is the reason. This would not necessaryly apply for private use, but the commercial market is gone ....

Matthias

Reply to
Matthias Muehe

Forrest will do custom arbor sizes for their dado sets. Their sets are very good.

will also do 30 mm bores

Bob

I'm guessing from his name that English is not Herr Muehe's first language, but German is -- and probably he means safety issues; the word in German is the same ("sicherheit").

Reply to
Doug Miller

OK, now I understand you. I had mental images of terrorists throwing dado blades around like a ninja's shuriken.

RicodJour

Doug Miller schrieb:

shame on me; thanks for the correction

Matthias

Reply to
Matthias Muehe

So did I, re: the terrorists. Now, I get the picture of a Nannie State I would simply have to refuse to live in. However, I'm afraid the good ole' U.S. is getting to be just like so many little pitiful countries with such laws/rules. God!, maybe I just oughta be thankful I grew up in the 50's and maybe I'll be lucky enough to have enjoyed a good life and be dead before that sorry state of affairs finally comes to pass here. SHEEZ! --controlling dado blades! What a CROCK!!

TEX

P.S. - Watch out for that 60 grit sandpaper - it just might nick a fingernail.

Reply to
Tex

At least in Germany, they can have them. In the UK, they can't sell a table saw with an arbor long enough to take a dado blade.

Reply to
CW

They don't want ninja terrorists getting ahold of them and using them as throwing stars.

Reply to
Prometheus

Damn guys, give the fellow a break! Looks like you posted the question to the wrong group, if you want my opinion! All you've gotten so far is useless nonsense about how you say something, pronounce something, and crap like that. Then they start off with other useless, pointless nonsense and forget about your, the original poster's question. I'll try and help.

've gotten quite a bit of stuff there.

BTW, it matters not what others interrupt, you know what you mean.

Reply to
Tim Taylor

Matthias,

I'm a hobbyist. I have the cheaper Freud set (about $100 street price), and I don't understand how another brand could be better. But I don't run nearly the number of feet of dados in a year that some of the others here do. Maybe after another year or two I could see some deterioration, but right now it cuts flat bottoms, I've had it a couple of years and am delighted.

I don't see how a Forrest (as someone else recommended) could be much better than the Freud, but I've never used one. However, I do have a Forrest WW2 on my table say. It performs so much better than any other blade I've used, maybe I am missing something on the dado set.

Regards, Roy

Reply to
Roy

Bob answered his question succinctly and included a couple of links to two different manufacturers, including Forrest, within an hour of the OP's original post, so I'm not sure what you mean about useless nonsense.

RicodJour

Years ago, I was watching a low-budget martial arts movie on TV, one of those films that's so bad it's good because it's unintentionally funny... and in one scene, the Bad Guys are chasing the Good Guy and the Pretty Girl through a warehouse. The Good Guy has run out of throwing stars (Oh, NO!!), and just as the Bad Guys are closing in, he and Pretty Girl run past a pile of blades for portable circular saws (which just conveniently happened to be laying there). Good Guy grabs some and throws them at the Bad Guys, stopping them in their tracks. Good Guy turns to Pretty Girl and says, deadpan -- and I swear I'm not making this up, he really said this -- "Thank God for Black and Decker."

Reply to
Doug Miller

Es war nur eine kleine Fehler. Wahrscheinlich ist Ihr Englisch viel besser als meinen Deutsch.

What are you talking about? Particularly, why say that in response to *me*? All I did was to explain to someone else why a (presumably) non-native speaker of English might have written "security" when he meant "safety".

Reply to
Doug Miller

don't understand how

dados in a year that

deterioration, but

than the Freud, but

performs so much

That's been my experience with the Freud products. Not saying Forrest isn't better, but it's hard to say *how* it is better, unless it's just bragging rights...

Reply to
Prometheus

Have you ever scaled a circular saw blade at a tree? It's lots more fun than a frisbee.

RicodJour

Fairly common with table saw blades is the fact that the less expensive sets, even within the same brand name, will not be able to go through as many sharpening cycles as their more expensive brethren and still maintain a superior cut.

Reply to
Swingman

Well obviously. If they'd been using better quality tools they wouldn't have needed to have whole piles of them lying around, would they? Plus if that had been a Festool circular saw the Good Guy would have been obligated to stop and play with it, thus getting the Pretty Girl kidnapped.

-Leuf

Reply to
Leuf

"Doug Miller" wrote

You would have thought that Black and Decker would have grabbed this up and used it for a commercial.

Since their target audience is probably the same guys who watch this sort of thing.

(Sorry about that Doug)

Reply to
Lee Michaels